Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
--bring the Noble district up to the walls of the docks area. The reasons are partly artistic (it will give me more room to draw the nobles' houses, and remove a narrow corridor of hard to draw buildings) and partly to do with realistic urban layout patterns
Aye, this was (sort of) in one of my early [extremely] rough sketches of Pyrus (except it stretched out into the middle of the city which seemed far too large for me). I like the idea of the Noble District by the docks, those patricians need to survey their merchant empires from the comfort of their own homes
--add suburbs outside some gates. Suburbs were a very common feature of historic cities, and I think they would make the picture look more realistic, and dynamic. I won't add any to the West Road, because of what you say about raids.
I very much like this idea (especially after your 'Tips for Worldbuilders' post), and definitely agree about the realism and dynamic feel.
--I have also reduced the length of the sea walls, so they make a smaller enclosure around the port. I did that simply because I think it looks better.
I do find that the more open port definitely looks much better than having a wall encircling most of it (I really wasn't sure of how big to make it in my sketch)
--lastly, the walled area to the west of the harbour master (from where I have written castle in my sketch to the outer town wall) looks to me like it might all be a military precinct (fortress, arsenale, barracks, etc.). I was therefore thinking of depicting that whole area as a kind of fortress. I'll include a handful of non-military buildings as well.
I think this will definitely open up some doors for some 'fun' for the adventurers in the campaign

Also, when I saw the coloured bit I just about died of excitement

Many thanks and keep up the amazing work!
Shadire