Thread: Marblehead Harbor

Map Marblehead Harbor

I'm working on a series of maps for my friend and where they live and trying a different styles for each as I learn Photoshop, this is the first one of 4. One of the Tutorials from "Making Maps Using Photoshop-Adding Basic Coloring to a Map" by Jeremy Elford was a great help on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarbleHeadMinelliSpots.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	69683  

Nice map, my son used to live right in the middle of Old Marblehead. One question, the red label: Fish Boy, is it supposed to be Fish Bay?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I choose to believe it's an actual Fish Boy.

I really like this map, by the way. One nitpick is that it's hard to tell which island some of the labels belong to, and some don't appear to have islands at all.

Blog Entries

Given that some of the labels are cut off, is this a piece of a larger project?
    If not, I think this could benefit from the addition of a nice border

Looks to me like the red dot is pointing out the location of a fish boy.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Thanks for the comments, I do think a border would be nice, I'll work on the labeling more. Fish boy is the name of my friend boat, which I may add some docks, boats to give it more context. Thanks for the feed back

Banned User

There's a problem with using a name like Fish Boy in a Bay ... no matter what it actually means to you, everyone else will always see it as a typo. I remember when I named an ocean The Wester Sea ... I can't tell you how many people pointed out that I misspelled Western ... I finally gave up explaining and changed it.

Really nice work! I like a lot the general feeling.

This is a really excellent map and clearly accentuates the areas you want it to. I disagree with some other posters, I really don't think you need a border. When we use borders on real-life maps, it tends to constrain geographic thinking and cause the map to seem like a cut-off place. Without a border, it's clear that there is more to the world than Marblehead Bay.

Very nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Fish boy is the name of my friend boat, which I may add some docks, boats to give it more context.
    Or maybe use a small anchor instead of a dot. Unless it is tied to a dock, in which case... docks, boats, context. It's a nice looking map. My brother lives just north of the edge of it and has probably taken his skin-on-frame boats around those islands. Ha Cool to see a map of it up here.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram