Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Practicing

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Default Practicing

A few screenies of what I'm working on. How I start mountains, quick hatching on mountains, Erwin Raisz-style forests. If you look at my layer stack there's nothing surprising there. Clouds, difference clouds twice, new layer of 50% gray set to hard mix, new layer between those two layers for airbrushing B&W to give my land some shape, separate land and water onto their own layers, layers for coasts and rivers, and a quick parchmenty thing for character (helps my mindset), various geography goes on its own layer. I don't want too much geography on this as I want to get all the way through and finish it... I have a tendency to stop after the drawing part is done and I don't really like the technicalities like compass and borders, n such.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	69343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1b.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	69344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1c.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	69345  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Cool, I've been thinking of moving into this kind of what i call 3/4 view style myself. I hope to go to school on you now..for you youngsters that means I'll learn by watching what he does.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hills, grass, and swamps done. Working on little icons.

Name:	1d.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	69348  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Nice, it's quite pleasant to have a look on your work process.

I'm calling this one done. Less than 10 hours to draw the map, kinda hard to count since I changed my mountain style 4 times. Labeling was the nightmare. I hate making up names and going through 6,000 loaded fonts (15,000 not loaded) trying to find something nice and legible yet keeping with the theme. That part took some 20 hours. Grrr. It's not pretty, it was meant to be quick so I succeeded in that. Sorta. The clouds layer is a total mess, not happy with that but, shrug. C'est la vie. I could do another just like it in about 6 hours from blank canvas to this stage and that's essential. Speed. So... quick little slapdash map. Good enough. Now I need to practice making pretty. Fonts: PR Compass Rose, Arhaic, FranciscoLucas Briosa, some clip-art thingy for the corners. Ps, All drawn with 5-pixel hard round on a Wacom Intuos 5 Medium.

Name:	mew map 3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	3.79 MB 
ID:	69424  
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-02-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Nice map A, you've still got it!

Practicing my color work and some quick mountains.

Name:	1a.jpg 
Views:	75 
ID:	69501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1b.jpg 
Views:	83 
ID:	69502  

For those interested in making mountains here is how I do it.
    1. Jagged squiggle.
    2. Add descending slopes.
    3. Stick in smaller mountains to fill gaps.
    4. Add hills
    5. Shade and highlight.

Name:	new map 4.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	69519  

Banned User

LOL You make it sound so easy

The more ya do it the easier it gets and, honestly, this is the first time I'm trying the "painterly" style. Try it out on some blank paper, it's much easier (I think).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast