Thread: Help me with a Cub Scout project... I have less than a week.

Help Help me with a Cub Scout project... I have less than a week.

Could anyone provide sort of a blank "map template" for the group of 6 year olds I am leading in Cub Scouts? One of the achievements they need to accomplish has to do with learning about maps and/or drawing a map of their local area. I plan on teaching them the map components (key, compass rose, title, scale, etc..)

I also thought it would be cool if they could draw their area and locate certain places (home, fire station, police station, etc..) using the numbered border (I apologize as I don't know what the "official" term is).

The "prettier" the better. Having an area that the kids could write in the title would be cool. The compass rose could already be in place in just about any corner. The scale could be in place as the map will not be drawn by the kids in any particular scale.

I am thinking of printing 16"x24" but I have photoshop so you could send just about any size and I could scale up or down.

As I am a scout leader who donates my time, I really can't afford to pay anyone. But I would greatly appreciate any help you all could "donate" for a good cause.

Thanks in advance,
    Fred

Banned User

You may have this one if you wish. If you email me at yodercm@earthlink.net I'll send you the .psd file and you can modify it as you like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scale Border with Legend Box.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	69402

Here is a compass rose font so you can choose your own: http://www.dafont.com/pr-compass-rose.font
    Last edited by Chick; 12-01-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Excellent. Thanks for the help.

Banned User

You are very welcome.

May I humbly suggest that part of your project might be to have the kids look at maps here on the Guild (as well as the real maps you will undoubtedly show them). Give them an idea of what can be done once they have learned more

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Blog Entries

It has been many years
    BUT
    as i recall for badges there was a ton of materiel in the BSA books
    but that was in the 70's to 80's when i was a life scout and assistant scout master

will have a look and do a search and see what i can come up with .

now the cub scout leaching aids are for young kids and NOT the BSA / US Army Field navigation training for the 12 to 18 year olds use
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---