Thread: Loudun 1642 - France - RPG Map for "Les Lames du Cardinal"

Map Loudun 1642 - France - RPG Map for "Les Lames du Cardinal"

Hello, Sorry for my englis, I'm french..

I post here my first RPG map for "Les Lames du Cardinal". This game is from a Pierre Pevel book (The Cardinal's Blades). The "Lames du Cardinal" are a group of mousquetares and agents working for Cardinal de Richelieu, the prime minister of French king Louis XIII. Pevel's historical accuracy is joined to an existing supernatural threat with the presence of dragons..... Then I try to write story with Loudun and Urbain Grandier. He was burned at the stake after being convicted of witchcraft, following the events of the so-called "Loudun Possessions" in 1634. Then... in 1642 my "Lames du Cardinal" will need find lot of element about that story for understand what exactly happen..

Then a map of Loudun. I made it with "clip paint studio" for the first draw, And finish it with Illustrator.
    Loudun lost in 1630 is rampart. Only big tower on the central hill stay.. My card is not historical, apart from the tower, I invented everything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-loudun2.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	70814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-loudun-notxt.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	70812
    Last edited by Vaevictis; 02-12-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaevictis View Post
    Hello, Sorry for my englis, I'm french..
    I think most english speakers will understand you quite well. Better than me, most likely... I am german

I post here my first RPG map for "Les Lames du Cardinal". This game is from a Pierre Pevel book (The Cardinal's Blades). The "Lames du Cardinal" are a group of mousquetares and agents working for Cardinal de Richelieu, the prime minister of French king Louis XIII. Pevel's historical accuracy is joined to an existing supernatural threat with the presence of dragons..... Then I try to write story with Loudun and Urbain Grandier. He was burned at the stake after being convicted of witchcraft, following the events of the so-called "Loudun Possessions" in 1634. Then... in 1642 my "Lames du Cardinal" will need find lot of element about that story for understand what exactly happen..

Then a map of Loudun. I made it with "clip paint studio" for the first draw, And finish it with Illustrator.
    Loudun lost in 1630 is rampart. Only big tower on the central hill stay.. My card is not historical, apart from the tower, I invented everything.
    This is a great map! Exactly the kind of map I like to see when playing an RPG... very stylish!

Three points for comment:
    1. Are you going to colour it? The B&W is fine already... but I'd like to see how texture and colour could even improve it.
    2. This black block beside the compass rose... what is this meant to be?
    3. If it isn't too much work: would it be possible to redo the text in real handwriting? The handdrawn linework for the buildings is great, and I'd say real handwriting would fit even better than the digital font you used.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Great map! I always love hand drawn styled maps.

Pros: The black and white works well. However, if you wanted this appear historical, or aged, maybe consider drawing it on some light tan paper, or adding an effect on PS.
    Great compass
    Nice shading

Cons: The streets are kind of hard to read. It appears as a large cluster of buildings, and not blocks. (which may have been your intention)
    I agree with Freodin about the type. If you hand draw a map, it really works well with hand drawn text.
    If you are going to add lines for roads leading into the city and not have roads in the city, maybe consider making the pathways more natural looking, and less like solid lines.

The Cons are very minor things in my mind, and don't really take much away from the map as a whole.
    Great work!

Cheers
    Capt.JH

Clean and pretty map. Good job!

Tanks a lot for this return !!

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Three points for comment:
    1. Are you going to colour it? The B&W is fine already... but I'd like to see how texture and colour could even improve it.
    2. This black block beside the compass rose... what is this meant to be?
    3. If it isn't too much work: would it be possible to redo the text in real handwriting? The handdrawn linework for the buildings is great, and I'd say real handwriting would fit even better than the digital font you used.

1. I think no, I have only a good laser b&w print. When I play I like give maps, and write on them. Then only simple B&W map for me ! And I loved made it, but it's realy realy long !!
    2. It's elevation of the city, with the center tower, yes not realy clear
    3. For that point it's a good idea ! I'll try
    Last edited by Vaevictis; 02-12-2015 at 01:52 PM.

It's my first map... And It was realy hard to find "my style"... I try lot of think. Thanks for this rrealy good analysis ! I'm realy happy you like my simple map.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJohnHawk View Post
    ... However, if you wanted this appear historical, or aged, maybe consider drawing it on some light tan paper, or adding an effect on PS.
    Cons: The streets are kind of hard to read. It appears as a large cluster of buildings, and not blocks. (which may have been your intention)
    I agree with Freodin about the type. If you hand draw a map, it really works well with hand drawn text.
    If you are going to add lines for roads leading into the city and not have roads in the city, maybe consider making the pathways more natural looking, and less like solid lines.

The Cons are very minor things in my mind, and don't really take much away from the map as a whole.
    Great work!

Cheers
    Capt.JH
    Your cons is true ! No problem and thanks to put them. I try stay simple, because realy long to do all. And when I use it in game it's only for have a view of town.
    For that reasons and because I've no idea about how made road in town, I don't do them.. For the outer roads of the city, I need them, but I don't know how made them, and I do it them at the realy end of the map....

Thanks Again, I try finish my building map, and after I'll made some corrections !

Thanks again !