Thread: Lands of Gold and Shadow

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Lands of Gold and Shadow

This is something I started early last year and finally finished! (And it only took two years...) The style changed quite a bit in the process, for the better, I think. You can see some early stages here. The setting is an alternate-Earth where magic works, the place where Cibola, El Dorado, and a host of other myths originated, as well as being home to some lost Earth folks (the Roanoke settlers and others). The idea is that the Bermuda Triangle is a portal between our Earth and this one, and that over the centuries, various people have wound up somewhere far afield from where they intended to go. The seven bishops that fled Spain ahead of the Saracen hordes in AD 714 ended up here, and founded Antillia and Cibola. The Roanoke settlers, on the other hand, woke up Something Not Meant To Be Awakened, and -poof!- new home. There's lore behind the other locations too, but that's all the reveal you get for now.

Fonts used were Orotund and Tom's Handwriting, both found on dafont.com. The parchment overlay is from here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoldandShadow.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	69673  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice map as usual I would have decreased the spacing between the capitalized F and the o in Fort something labels.

Beautiful map Diamond!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Fine map and an interesting setting!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Amazing! I like so much!

Always good to see another Diamond map. I like it.
    Although i am always more interested in your own world-designs, as you have such a good landshape-eye (at least for my tastes ). Hope to see one soon
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Nice map as usual I would have decreased the spacing between the capitalized F and the o in Fort something labels.
    Noted. That does look a little odd; I'll fix it.

Great map! There's always something about your maps that is very appealing to me (a general "style" I suppose, along with the land shapes), and this one is no exception .

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Always good to see another Diamond map. I like it.
    Although i am always more interested in your own world-designs, as you have such a good landshape-eye (at least for my tastes ). Hope to see one soon
    I agree wit Eilathen, you are a master in world building: usually, your maps are credible from a geographical point of view, but above all they give off an umparalleled sense of political tension between the various powers.
    In these terms, I believe that the maps in the WIP you linked were closer to your awesome world building skills than the current map, which is fine but is less clear about the political-geographical dynamics of your scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by fabio p View Post
    I agree wit Eilathen, you are a master in world building: usually, your maps are credible from a geographical point of view, but above all they give off an umparalleled sense of political tension between the various powers.
    In these terms, I believe that the maps in the WIP you linked were closer to your awesome world building skills than the current map, which is fine but is less clear about the political-geographical dynamics of your scenario.
    That's a great critique; thanks!!