Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethantis

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 9.32.03 PM.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	69734

That lake-within-the-mountains is really neat. That's definitely where I'd want to hang out. Some of those mountains do look a little more scratchy than shaded, but over all, the map really gets the feeling that impressive mountain ranges bring.

On the map of middle-earth, the shore lines go all the way out to the edge of the map. I'm not sure if it would look better if you did that on yours. I think it'd look best if you just had some flat shading for the water, so we could tell it apart from the land, but it's obviously your map and stylistic choices are good :-)
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

The map overall looks solid. I particularly like the font, which is similar to some that I have but 'scriptier' in a way that I like. I am also quite jealous of your rivers - do you draw them by hand, or do you use a tool to get them that way?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

foremost - glad you like the map. That little remote lake was one of my favourite features too

Tomalak - the font is called Last King's Quest. I've had it for a while but don't usually use it because it does look very stylised.

For my rivers I actually use the fractal/plasma layer that I generate for my landmasses and then chop it up and position. It gives a nice random shape to them. For my other maps I have also used my graphics tablet but it is trickier.

That sounds like the Clouds/Solarize/Threshold technique I've been working on with mine, but yours comes out much nicer. I wonder if there's a way to apply your techniques in photoshop. My default photoshop doesn't have a 'Plasma' filter, but in looking online I find 'plasma' filters, but I don't see how you would have used those to get the wavy lines for your rivers. Could you point me to a tutorial or description of the process you use, so that I can attempt to adapt it for Photoshop?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12