Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** December/January 2015 Lite Challenge: Sponsored by Filter Forge***

Post *** December/January 2015 Lite Challenge: Sponsored by Filter Forge***

December/January 2015 Lite Challenge: Sponsored by Filter Forge

Greetings Fellow Mappers!

This month's challenge is sponsored by Filter Forge ('FF'). FF is a node based editor which allows you to build your own filters and textures. It can be used as a stand alone or as a plug-in with Photoshop. In addition to building your own textures from scratch you can choose from thousands of filters/textures made by other FF users either as they come or edited by you.

In this month's lite challenge you can make any map you like but it must prominently use one or more FF filters (either made from scratch by you, or downloaded from the site 'as is' or edited by you).

The winning map will be chosen by Filter Forge (not the usual community vote).
    You can download a fully operational trial version of FF Professional (valid for 30 days) from their site here: https://www.filterforge.com/download/

As usual, please make sure to title your threads: Dec/Jan 2015 Lite Challenge: <your title here>

Also, don't forget to precede each work in progress picture with the label: ### Latest WIP ### This way the thumbnail scraper can find your entry.

This challenge will end on or around 15th January 2015. In addition to the covetedSilver Compass, the winner will receive a free license to FF Basic ( If you would like the Professional version, you will need to win the regular challenge, but the Basic is still a very good program ).

As always, Good luck and Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by - Max -; 12-17-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Banned User

Isn't this the same as the Main Challenge? Do we need two of them?

Yes it is the same, but Filter Forge is offering a prize for both challenges. The purpose of the Lite Challenge is to allow newer mappers a chance to compete without feeling they are going up against professional artists, so this gives them a chance to win the software. And even though the mapping criteria is the same, "you can make any map you like" means that there will be a vast variety of maps created. You could make a world map for one challenge and a city map for the other.

You have "Golden Compass" here as well.

Plus, after you win the Lite challenge 3 times you can't join it anymore. Then you have no choice but to step into the ring with the professionals. At first, it feels futile but then if you keep at it, you can see how much you improve. It's like playing sports against someone better than you. As long as you learn just keep getting better.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    You have "Golden Compass" here as well.
    Fixed it for my buddy Bogie

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Yes it is the same, but Filter Forge is offering a prize for both challenges.
    I guess I don't understand why they can't just make their own thread with their own contest. Why take up both Challenge threads for this, especially simultaneously, when it is clear from the other one that there are lots of people who are just not interested in that particular software.
    Last edited by Chick; 12-17-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Challenges don't always interest the same people and I don't see any problem with that. A wide range of themes is proposed all over the year in both regular and lite challenges. You don't feel joining in this ones? you still want to make a map and improve your skills? Take pen and paper, or computer, open a WIP thread, start a map that challenges you with something new and get feedbacks from guilders!

Banned User

A wider range of themes is exactly what I was suggesting would be better. Thanks for helping make my point

I think all the CLs do a pretty good job to provide this wide range of themes in the Guild and to deal with the challenges. Some people will always feel unsatisfied about one challenge or another, each one has to deal with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast