Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For lack of a better place: A proposal

How about to a designated CL, who would forward the appeal to all CLs, who, in turn, would decide the appeal?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

It seems i need to be a bit more precise in what i was proposing.

Naturally, it is not the intention of such a forum to be a place to flame-war other members for their infractions and stuff. It is not the purpose of such a forum (I'd like to call it: Trouble Ticket) to be a place to wash one's dirty laundry, so to speak. But it is a place where information can be posted about "problems" on the forums. And i don't mean technical problems (for that there is a subforum already).

My idea for this comes from one of the biggest forums on the internet i know. RPG.net ... the biggest rpg gamer-community on the net. It has such a place where one can ask about bans or where mods inform about bans. You can also do stuff like request thread-moves, thread-renaming and such stuff. On rpg.net, members can indeed take part in the threads, so the threads are open to post to, but if you think this is not a good idea, you could also make them "CL posts only" and members can only read stuff. This limits some things, naturally (for example members couldn't open own threads for request for renaming etc.).
    Anyway, what i want to say is, this seems to work for a community much more numerous and therefore much more diverse (and opinionated ) than we are here on the guild, so i don't think it would pose a problem to run such a forum on here, where we have, as it seems, in general very level headed people (aka i don't think it would end in flamewars and angry post battles).

Be that as it may, i just wanted to explain a bit better what i meant: Obviously, as i said above, we don't need to know every little detail of a ban or similar personal things...but an information like "Member XY ban : violation of rule 7: harrasment - 3 day ban" would go a long way to make things more transparent (and no ambivalent feelings towards "secret mod police" stuff) and prevent needless speculation and spaming of map threads with discussion about said ban.

Hope that makes it a bit more clear.

And thanks to the CLs that have come by so far and posted very detailed replies...i'm sure we all appreciate it.

E.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If that's what ya want we could probably implement something. Like i said, it would be a lot of "moved this, fixed that, banned a spammer"... very cut n dried. Right now we handle the "hey could you move this for me" stuff through private messages and maybe that sort of thing should be made public. I dunno. A subforum that shows all of our dirty work behind the scenes might also go a long way toward justifying our presence. I dunno. It could explain bans, which rarely happen to the general populace in the first place, and that might go a long way to allaying any suspicions but I think we need to update the rules a bit to make them more clear and easier to find. Much to be thought about.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

To be honest, i don't think the deletion of spammer accounts would need a thread in that forum ^^ but i guess one could also list those, true.

If i am the only one who thinks something like this can help, then by all means just say "No" ... i will not be offended. It was a proposal after i saw the distress about the situation with chick's ban and it reminded me of how other forums handle that. So i thought i'd make this suggestion.
    I'd even volunteer to help out as a moderator or CL or whatever if that helps in any way. I don't want to unload work on you guys...or let me put it another way...i can't expect you to do work that i am not prepared to do myself.

And just that it is said: thanks for being open and relaxed about my suggestion and ready to discuss it...i think you can't take that for granted. After all, nobody is entitled to anything on here, it's a space that is offered to us for free by some of you guys so who am i to complain.
    I hope you all see this as what it is: a suggestion (and now also an offer) put forth in good faith

E.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12