Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google Maps concept with your own creations

Blog Entries

There are several javascript web slippy map libraries out there already which can do this. There are also several different ways to feed images into them. There are servers that can serve map images via special protocols (WMS, WMS-C, WMTS, TMS) and there are also tools that can produce tiles and configuration files that can be hosted statically on an ordinary web server, often these static tile files follow the TMS standard.

I work on GeoServer and GeoWebCache which are servers that can serve up maps like this. I have co-workers who work on OpenLayers, which is a slippy map library. I haven't used one of the tile tile pre-cutting tools myself, but gdal2tiles is free.

Markem's suggestion amounts to building a simplified version of all that from the ground up yourself.

Actually what I was saying is - if the original poster WANTED to do this he could even though he only knew PHP and HTML. (I added Javascript and jQuery [which is written in Javascript].) It is true - "Don't reinvent the wheel" which I advocated starting in the 1970s and Usenet. So >I< am glad you pointed out OpenLayers. It looks VERY interesting. I'm going to go look at the other things you posted. :-) Thanks Hai-Etlik! :-)

Blog Entries

I think what you want would have been this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qELcbKXdRm8

which is showing our CWBP map here - but since I stopped selling it and its unavailable from lack of interest, I would suggest:

Worldwind, GeoServer, GoogleEarth with custom skins, I believe that MapTool can do some zooming too.

Some comments about previous posts. Doing it by hand in HTML is a total pain. ImageMagick is great but it is not fast. There are apps to chop up large images into 2^n sized chunks for apps like the google maps services. Remember tho that any image you chop up cant then be changed so you need to do it all over again for every new bit of it that changes. Its also very hard to embed a small new map onto a regional or global map. You would have to use a paint program and do it at the exact resolution required. Also note that it fixes the pixels per meter ratio so that cities on a 64,000 pixel world would have to be rendered at 100x100 pixels or so. Completely useless. I.e. its not a path I would recommend.

If your really brave then you can have a go with Outerra and do it in 3D with sketchup...

Default Oh yeah....

Show us all yet another program that looks fantastic - BUT YOU CAN'T BUY IT! Because they've stopped selling it!

Got something like that which is still being sold? 8-}

Really bad that it took me so long to say thank you, but better late then never... Thanks!

I'm going to pick up this project again.. still think it would add a lot to my dnd game as I have a digital table to work with.

OpenLayers looks perfect for what I'd like to do, and I've placed it on my webserver to play with. But I don't understand How I'd be able to make my own map and use openlayers. Could anyone help me towards a direction. Somehow, everything is about using already existing maps of the earth. Also, as mapmaking is a starting hobby, I don't understand many of the terms that are being used. It would be great if someone can explain things or if there would be a simple way to do things from photoshop or other imaging tool.
    Last edited by Phrenic; 09-19-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I think what you want would have been this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qELcbKXdRm8

which is showing our CWBP map here - but since I stopped selling it and its unavailable from lack of interest, I would suggest:

Worldwind, GeoServer, GoogleEarth with custom skins, I believe that MapTool can do some zooming too.

Some comments about previous posts. Doing it by hand in HTML is a total pain. ImageMagick is great but it is not fast. There are apps to chop up large images into 2^n sized chunks for apps like the google maps services. Remember tho that any image you chop up cant then be changed so you need to do it all over again for every new bit of it that changes. Its also very hard to embed a small new map onto a regional or global map. You would have to use a paint program and do it at the exact resolution required. Also note that it fixes the pixels per meter ratio so that cities on a 64,000 pixel world would have to be rendered at 100x100 pixels or so. Completely useless. I.e. its not a path I would recommend.

If your really brave then you can have a go with Outerra and do it in 3D with sketchup...
    The software you're showing there seems exactly what I'm looking for (although I don't know the amount of work that went into making the actual map).. any way to get my hands on it?

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I recently tried 'Leafletjs' for the exact purposes you are describing.

It is open source, has lots of simple plugins, can be set up on your server in minutes, and best of all, accepts image layers. So you don't have to 'chop up' your image using a slicing script. You can also set your own coordinate plane. So you can really create your 'own' world map.

Here is a link:

http://leafletjs.com/

Blog Entries

As an example, our community GuildWorld map is LeafletJS:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/l...ype=GuildWorld

Well, there you go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12