Thread: WIP Map of Terraformed Mars.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default WIP Map of Terraformed Mars.

Hello everyone.

I am creating a map of a Terraformed mars, for use as the setting for a science-fantasy game where Mars was terraformed, but then space-faring civilization collapsed and it's been left to it's own devices for 2 million years. I've done a lot of research into climate models, current conditions and predicted conditions on Mars, the effects of lower gravity on air pressure, etc. I've got some hand-drafted maps finished based on the USGS maps available online. I've pretty much figured out what the planet will look like; the worldbuilding is pretty much done. Where I'm running into issues is in creating digital versions of the map. Mostly, I'm trying to figure out a nice graphical representation of the different biomes that isn't photorealistic, but is more visually interesting than a blob of color with "Jungle" written over it. I'd like general critique and questions, as well as specific advice on how to add things to my map like jungles and deserts that fit the style I've got going.

The first drawing is the scan of my hand-drafted map. The Biomes are color coded. I've lost the key, but I know what most of the colors are intended to mean. Different greens are Tropical, subtropical, and temperate rainforests, temperate dry forests, and the darkest is coniferous alpine forests. The brightest orange is desert, followed by dark tan for scrubland, light tan for steppes, and yellow for grasslands. Pink is martian alpine desert, and light blue is swamp.

The second drawing is my current digital version. I have the water mapped out, and the different major elevations. Each contour on this map represents 2 km, which also represents a 5 degree celcius drop in average temperature. Above the second contour the air is as thin as in Tibet, and is difficult for humans to breathe. Deeper color means higher altitude. This is what I want to put Biome information on, without compromising the simple, clean look I've got going.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martian Map v1-Smaller.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	69833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martian Map v2-Smaller.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	69834