Thread: Second attempt... need help with oceans, borders, etc.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan

This is quite nice !
    Did you use Wilbur or fractal terrain ? I am asking because Wilbur creates beautiful and realistic rivers but has this weakness that it creates them even in frozen polar lands where are no rivers.
    You should eliminate them.

I did use Wilbur to create the rivers. I did not use any automated mechanism to create fractal terrains, I hand drew them based on rough guidelines of where I'd put tectonic plates. Once Wilbur created a high map and I created a bump map from that then I decided where the lakes would go and drew those by hand as well. I tried to keep in the guidelines previously mentioned in this thread while using only areas around the same elevation. I'll look at eliminating them in the arctic regions.

Default Touched up rivers in Arctic Areas

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    This is quite nice !
    Did you use Wilbur or fractal terrain ? I am asking because Wilbur creates beautiful and realistic rivers but has this weakness that it creates them even in frozen polar lands where are no rivers.
    You should eliminate them.
    Ok. Have a look at the attached and let me know if this is better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lycadican 7 7-compressed.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	69937

Ok I've also done some work on general climate zones, ocean currents and winds. I'm attaching these to this post and would appreciate any feedback on how realistic those are and if I've got the regions done correctly as a result.

Name:	Lycadican 7 v7 Climate Zones.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	69938

Name:	Lycadican 7 v7 General Winds.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	69939

Name:	Lycadican 7 v7 Ocean Currents.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	69940

Thank you to everyone who has replied with suggestions and criticisms, you are really helping me make this better and learn...