Thread: Best way I can represent snow in this style?

Help Best way I can represent snow in this style?

My map has a certain style (sepia, kind of) as you can see here. I want to represent snow or just show that it's a "winter-y" area staying true to old, man-made map style. If anyone has a suggestion, I'll be happy to hear. I should be a bit more clear and say that I would rather not re-colour parts of my map, I would just like a way of showing its snowy through symbols or something that would fit in with the sort of tone I'm going for with my map. Once again thanks for the great ideas!

Guild Artisan

I think that nobody here is doing snow otherwise than with white. After all this is the most natural and realistic way. You could put snowflake symbols on the region but that would not have the same effect.

I take the opportunity to say that some of your rivers and lakes are impossible.
    You have to always check that :
    - rivers only merge and never separate unless in a delta
    - lakes can have as many inlets you want but only 1 outlet.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

A good way I found in one of my maps is to put snowcaps on your mountains that are in the colder regions. It's tricky to get white to overlay and look nice on these sorts of maps.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

On a monochromatic map it's quite difficult to depict snow. You have to really lighten it up to the point of being nearly white. The snowflake idea works. You could add a texture to the other parts of the map and leave the snow area un-textured. Or you could put a bunch of Nordic type names in the area to trick the brain into thinking along those lines.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    I take the opportunity to say that some of your rivers and lakes are impossible.
    You have to always check that :
    - rivers only merge and never separate unless in a delta
    - lakes can have as many inlets you want but only 1 outlet.
    Thanks for the info, Unfortunately I'm a novice when it comes to map making (I've only done a couple) and this is my first time making one digitally. I can't change the rivers now, they are set in stone. but my gaming group doesn't really mind considering that its a high fantasy world so realism isn't too big an issue. But I will take your advice, it is much appreciated! Have a good one!

Hey, I tired to cap the mountains with snow but I just cannot do it well. thanks for suggestion though. have a good one!

I think I'm going to go with your last suggestion. I was looking at other maps that use the same style that I'm using and I don't see snow represented in areas that have it. Thanks for all the suggestions. Have a good day!