Thread: How would you guys make borders for this map?

Question How would you guys make borders for this map?

I'm in the finishing stages of my map, all I have to do now is creat the countries and their borders. So I have one question, how would YOU make borders for this map? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YH44cJm.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	69983

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

How many different races and do those races have various factions? Like are there English and French humans, elves and drow, dwarves and duergar, etc. Think about where you want to put each of them and then give them enough space to actually farm and stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oh, I actually ment how would you design or illustrate the borders on that map. lol I should have been more clear. Sorry about that man.

I'd suggest a simple brown dotted line. Try to prevent it standing out too much, though. It would look better, I think, if it is fairly subtle. Use a similar shade of brown or grey to your existing palette.

THW

Edit: also, a few other things to consider
    --Your rivers do not work from a simple physics/geography point of view. Check out the thread in the tutorials subforum for info on accurate river placement
    --The shadows are not consistent. You have some mountains/hills where the shadows are on the left-hand side, and others where they are not.
    --Your compass rose doesn't really suit the style. It is too crisp and clean, while the remainder of the map has a hand-drawn look. You might want to change that.

Overall, looking good. I like the colour palette you're using.
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 01-03-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I already got a couple comments about my rivers in another thread but as I'm this far in the process I cannot change them. I didn't even notice the shadows on the mountains! wow thanks for that . I'll definitely try to fix up that compass rose. Love all the feedback. Thanks again!