Thread: Fractal terrain wilbur ridged multifractal

Default Fractal terrain wilbur ridged multifractal

Hello , I found a nice shape generated with fractal terrain with wilbur ridged multifractal noise , but I get those strange circles in the terrains ... can those be eliminated somehow?

Those circles are the ridges caused by the absolute value of the spline interpolant on the noise field. They will become less obvious if you increase the number of octaves in the fractal generator (in Filter>>Calculate Height Field there is a little button labeled "BL" that will set the number of octaves to a value appropriate for your calculation zoom level). Note that you'll hit a limit in Wilbur's generator at about 12 octaves, which will be obvious because the display will start to break down.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Those circles are the ridges caused by the absolute value of the spline interpolant on the noise field. They will become less obvious if you increase the number of octaves in the fractal generator (in Filter>>Calculate Height Field there is a little button labeled "BL" that will set the number of octaves to a value appropriate for your calculation zoom level). Note that you'll hit a limit in Wilbur's generator at about 12 octaves, which will be obvious because the display will start to break down.
    Here is the image, sorry if I forgot, I already edited it , is there a way to fix the circles without having to rework the map?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b8a0e16af163fffc7285276f9eabd578.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	740.6 KB 
ID:	103605

Also is it possible to translate vertically a whole map ? I have some nice continents but I would like to move them more upper north to have them covered in polar zone .

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Btw where is the filter tab ? I can't find , I found method in the world setting tab, and parms on side, but if I edit those I get a washed out map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e44688688e2e8a29aee2a60aac289566.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	103610
    Last edited by Naima; 01-22-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Ah, I misunderstood your question to be about the Ridged Multifractal type in Wilbur, not the Wilbur Ridged Multifractal type in Fractal Terrains. There isn't a Filters menu in FT: that's a Wilbur feature.

I don't know that I've ever seen circles like the one you're showing. It looks suspiciously like a Moire pattern, but those shouldn't happen in FT. It looks like a bad reprojection of an aliased height map, but, again, that that shouldn't happen in FT. If you've exported the map, edited it in a nother package and then imported it back into FT, that could be one possible cause.

If you haven't made significant editing changes to your FT map, you should be able to use the North Pole Position feature to adjust the location of features on the world (the two angles for the north pole position are treated as rotations of the sampling sphere for the fractal function). Adjusting the latitude will rotate features on the world up or down.