Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greater Sept

The map is very good and seeing pictures of the cloth version is impressive.

As for the borrowed names - I know some people do that because it is convenient for personal or experimental maps, or those used for RPG campaigns. But it does make me smile when I see Whiterun neighbouring Lothering. All I can think is that isn't a place you wanna be when things turn bad. =P

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pretty cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Great work! The effort you put in on the cloth one kinda blows my mind.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

That's great. Where do you go to get something printed on cloth?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
    That's great. Where do you go to get something printed on cloth?
    This is where I get all my fractal art designs printed on cloth (mostly for quilters): http://www.spoonflower.com/

Not that it has much to do with cartography, but here is a picture of one of my designs printed on cloth and used for a quilt....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Westwind Quilt 3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	70019

and for a pillow....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	70020

Very nice map! And the cloth version is very original, quite "authentic".

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

That is badass! Fantastic work!

Thank you all for those kind words.

And thanks for the link Chick. Never thought to look up a name generator. It’s simple yet effective.

There are several small companies in the Netherlands who print on cloth. All of which are tailors who own such a printer and have set up a web shop to facilitate others. There is bound to be someone near you as well
    I send a sample first with the question of such fine line work could be replicated sharply. She replied it would be no problem. She was right. The edges are a bit softer than a laser printer would do on paper. But that really works well for maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Care to share some info about the setting? As a fellow rpg-er i am always curious about fictional worlds of other gamers
    More than happy to:

The map is more detailed than the setting ever was

Sept is a land that was home to dragons before man. When the gods decided they were bored they started populating the world with races. Humans first. Then Dwarfs, Halflings, Gnome, Elves etc.
    Since Sept was dominated by Silver dragons they thought it was nice to take the fledgling races under their protection. And thus Sept was governed by a council who was chaired by a silver dragon.

Recently my main villain, an Illithid called Todd (which some unintended help from my party), slammed the Celestial plane and the Abyss together like a giant burger. Where the Material Plane is the meat in the middle. It was a case of look to the sky and peer into the heavens. And there were gasps and chasms everywhere that led to the underworld were demons poured out. (Yes the actual Underdark and the Drow were quite hopeless in the midst of all this)
    Obviously, the new battleground for the war between angels and demons decimated the poor population of the normal world. The dragons took the heaviest of losses. In the end the planes were separated by the few gods who still care. Sept is no now longer ruled by dragons. Without the stoic vision of the mighty beasts corruption and the greediness of man can take hold.

The history was quite literally written by the party and how the story develop session to session over eight years.

Apart from the overall great feel of this map, I particularly like your drawings (the border corners but also the smaller ones) and the legend.
    I've mixed feeling about the minimalist artistic choice regarding mountains and forests: I found intriguing the way you choose to do mountains shading in the same way of other drawings shading; some mountains is suspiciously leaning though, I do not know if this is an artistic choice.
    Forests convince me less: I like their shape, but as this is a black and white map, and not having the possibility of imposing a distinctive trait which is the green colour, perhaps a few more details in the forest blobs could have been useful.
    I noticed a little brown boat icon near the bottom left: an afterthought colouring start or a precise choice?
    The composition is really good and the black and white tones choice is perfect (for my testes at least)
    The cloth version is simply amazing.
    Overall, congrats for you first awesome map/post and I hope to see more from you soon.

Thanks for sharing that bit

Quote Originally Posted by Zenka View Post

The history was quite literally written by the party and how the story develop session to session over eight years.
    That's really cool! I love it if i as a player have lived and breathed the history of the world...it's the best way to get a real immersive setting. It takes (a lot of game-)time, i know, but if you can "afford" that, it's so worth it.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast