Thread: Fantasy map request for an e-book

Post Fantasy map request for an e-book

Hello all!

I'm in the editing phase of getting ready to self-publish my first e-book, and I was hoping to include a map of my fantasy world.

Setting Details (if useful):
    The realm is called Ejoma, and is separated from the human realm by a magical barrier. Because of the way magic works in that realm, there is no electricity. The energy there fries wiring, and so also any machines. Instead, everything is powered with different kinds of crystals, all capable of using magical energy in different ways depending on how they are crafted and attuned. Cities are divided into districts. Structures are all stonework and woodwork, much of it designed by hand. Decorations and details are metal and different colored crystal. The cities have an old-world, almost gothic, fantasy feel because of this.

Style:
    I'd like it to be B&W or grayscale, and I don't really have any specific fonts in mind for labels - maybe something older or hand-written looking? I'll leave that to your artistic eye.

I've included a rough sketch for you below. The edges got cut off a little, mainly on the left (Wotirna) and right (Yinkura Mountains). Since I'd like to use this map for several novels in the series, the sketch shows 9 cities, but I can narrow it down if that's too much for the e-book - I've heard fewer labels may be more legible? I totally leave that to your discretion.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8&l=00fa342f6f

Time Constraints:
    I'm still really early in editing, so it'll be a couple months before I need the map.

Copyright:
    I'd like reproduction rights, so I can use the map in a series of books.

Contact Info:
    paigeaddams ~at~ gmail ~dot~ com

Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by PaigeA; 01-08-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Hey PaigeA, and welcome to the forum! =)

Two things I should mention here:
    1st: The link / attachment doesn't work in the moment I'm writing this.
    2nd: It surely would interest people how much you are willing / able to pay. Many people here have very crude assumptions about this... =)
    3rd: Surely a link to an existing map pointing in the direction of the style you want would help people to decide if they are the right person for the job and will probably satisfy you and the potential painter more if anyone knows what they are talking about

I am probably interested, depending on those points. =)
    Cheers, Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 01-08-2015 at 05:10 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Hi Steffen, and thank you!

I'm sorry about the messed up link ~ see if this one works:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8&l=00fa342f6f

I'm open to different styles. Here are a few of the maps that I've seen that I've really liked:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=69588
    http://craphound.com/images/6902_PerpetualWound2.jpg
    http://authsauce.deviantart.com/art/...Eltar-28208522

As far as how much I'm able to pay goes, I do have a budget, but I want to make sure I'm offering a fair price to whoever takes the project. Since this is my first time requesting a map, and I don't know what's a fair offer, I'm hoping to get an idea from price quotes people send in. Please feel free to send me an e-mail to discuss your rates, if you're interested.

Take Care,
    Paige

Hi Paige.

I'd also be interested in this request. I'm new to doing commissions, so I don't know what is considered a fair quote (although I intend on asking around to get an idea). Please follow the links in my signature to see examples of my work.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

No problem, I'm here to help. =) Not sure if I'd do exactly what you want, but in my Sig you'll find some of my works over at Deviantart. If you are interested and this style I use mostly would work for you, feel free to contact me about the offer =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

@TheHoarseWhisperer & @SteffenBrand - Your maps are awesome! Thank you so much for your interest in my project, but my request has already been taken.

Thank you so much to everyone who contacted me about my map - you are all very talented! My request has just been taken.

Alright, wish you and the cartographer all the best! =) If possible, the cartographer could show the map when finished here. I always love to see how something turned out from start to finish =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Quote Originally Posted by PaigeA View Post
    @TheHoarseWhisperer & @SteffenBrand - Your maps are awesome! Thank you so much for your interest in my project, but my request has already been taken.
    Thanks Paige.

Good luck with your map, and, like Steffen says, it is always nice to see a map take shape on these forums.

THW
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 01-10-2015 at 08:08 AM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer