Thread: The Old Barrows Redux

Map The Old Barrows Redux

A little over a year ago I created some old school dungeon maps for a campaign I was running at the time for some mates in New Zealand. Then through a series of unexpected events my wife and I ended up back in the states and my campaign came to an abrupt halt. My dungeon lingered in the nether-realm for about a year (the players didn't see these maps of course, but I did give them this handout of the above-ground region).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Old Barrows Handout.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	70075

Then I discovered Roll20 and now my Kiwi friends and I are once more delving back into The Old Barrows. One of the great things about Roll20 is that you can upload maps directly to their virtual tabletop to use as battlemaps. Well it turned out that my dungeon maps were large enough for me to use toward this end. However, while the old blue TSR layout I used for the original pieces looked good as a DM reference, it didn't look quite as nice as battle maps. So I decided to pretty them up for my players. Nothing too in depth mind you, just something with a splash more color and texture. Note that the doors, traps and pits are all left off the map. I'll add those directly to a separate layer of the Roll20 VT. Excited for my group to start exploring.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avidiron LV 2 Color.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	70074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avidiron LV 1 Color.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	70073  

I really like the above ground map of the barrows.

I've not really used roll20 but I did play in a few online games where we used a mix of IRC and maptool. Setting up maps in maptool could sometimes be a bit of a headache though.

Fantastic stuff. Went to your blog and really love your regional map.

Quote Originally Posted by kimco View Post
    Fantastic stuff. Went to your blog and really love your regional map.
    Thanks so much kimco! Had a lot of fun making it.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Beautiful! And it fits right in with LOTR vibe going around the guild right now!
    Thanks Ravs. I should mention however that this was a piece I did last year. But I'm glad you like it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Dungeon maps aren't really my thing, but the line art drawing is fantastic! I absolutely adore those little stone entrances.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That's probably one of the best barrow maps I've seen Arsheesh.
    Took me a bit to figure out where everything was in relation to the other maps.
    Great work on this one.

Thanks for the feedback J., Ravs and Chickpea. The barrows map illustration was the first piece. I had fun playing around with the cartoon style on this map. I may experiment around with this style some more in future works. Although it wasn't intended to be exactly to scale, I did try to align the interior barrows in Level one with the exterior ones in the drawing. Basically I just overlayed the exterior map at low opacity over the Level 1 map to make sure that the interior was approximately where it should be.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Member Guild Sponsor

Thank you so much for your talent. I will be using this for sure in a future adventure with my D&D group!!! Many thanks! I will also look at your website and do some shopping. It looks like you have some quality maps there!
    Last edited by bbennett; 12-26-2019 at 01:24 AM.