Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private map: Realm of Foralin

Default Private map: Realm of Foralin

A quick black and white piece for my portfolio. I will let the map speak for itself on this one

All hand drawn with traditional medium, and then labeled in PS. Feedback much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Realm of Foralin.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	70101

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks good Tainotim, linework seems clearer than usual. Some labels look vertically stretched in different ways though.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks pretty fantastic! I think the only thing I'm not loving is the way the title is kind of shoehorned in there; it looks cramped and out of place. I don't know where else you could put it without the same thing happening though. Maybe extend the canvas an inch and put it above or below the border box?

Beautifully done! I do agree about the title, and the Spine of Foralin label being squished, and the latter being oddly stretched looking... but I absolutely love the way you drew the map. It's fabulous.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

A good looking map indeed. I could totally see this in the beginning of a fantasy novel. Would set a nice mood, imo
    I also agree with Diamond about the title.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I like this map: a minimalistic and clean style is always difficult to achieve because there’s a great risk of doing something sloppy, but you managed to get something simple yet elegant.
    For my tastes though, labelling is not consistent with the overall style of the map: it’s too “clean” and you can immediately tell it’s done with a software while the rest of he map is clearly hand drawn; it could only have worked, I think, if the whole lining of the map would have been redone in photoshop.
    So I would rework labelling, there are several ways to achieve a fake ink or pencil effect with photoshop to get a more "hand drawn" effect.
    As for the title, I would surely resize it (smaller, of course) and maybe frame with a simple border (like the border of the whole map): in this, maybe, it would be distinct from the rest of labelling without being out of place.

I'm with Diamond about the title, but otherwise very nice job!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Whaow, thanks a lot for the super helpful feedback! Really appreciate it. Digital labeling is something I haven't done that much in the past, so can't express how much your pointers helps. Thanks!

Fabio p, or anyone for that matter, how would you suggest that I make the labels look more hand drawn in PS? In the past I attempted running it through a mixture of different filters, however, those attempts wont fool anyone. Perhaps I could use a more "flawed", hand-drawn font.

As for the main villain, the title, I completely agree with the comments. Simply, because it really is shoehorned in there. For now, I attempted to put a temporary version below the border like you suggested Diamond – and personally I think it looks way better. However, tonight, I'm going to draw up a title box that I will edit in there, to add that extra something

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Name:	Realm of Foralin sample 1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	70178

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

A couple of fonts that might look interesting on this map, or at least point you in a new direction:

Mirkwood Chronicle

SPQR

Banned User

Here are some of my favorite fonts that look hand-lettered. If any of them appeal to you, tell me which ones and I'll send you the names.

Name:	Hand printed fonts.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	711.1 KB 
ID:	70201

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast