Thread: Map of Heimurinn

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Map of Heimurinn

This is my map of Heimurinn. It is my first map...taken some tips from GIMP and Photoshop tutorials...doing the borders looks awful I admit, so any help appreciated for that. Also...please critique, doesn't matter how harsh!

Nordreygar is the capital of Nordreyja (incase anyone thinks I got confused)

*edit*

Sent it too a friend of mine, he was brutally honest...few things needed.

Scale required (good idea, didn't think of that)
    More kingdoms - Lower continent should have at least 20, Upper continent should have at least 10.
    Better borders - This is obvious.
    Last edited by Carl Taylor; 01-16-2015 at 10:56 AM.

I've gotta say, I really do like the water. The land is very desert/plains blended, and personally I think it could do with a bit of splitting, but otherwise I actually like the feel of of the map. The borders do need some work though

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's your world so you can make it look however you want it to look and no one can really say anything about that. However, it doesn't look "earthy" in that the 2 continents will make 2 big stripes if placed on a globe. If this is just the western hemisphere of said globe then it'll do. As far as the harsh color of the border I would suggest colors more like sand instead of rust. People are going to nitpick things like mountain ranges wouldn't be there and the desert areas aren't in the right places and other things but I'm not a big stickler for the technicalities. So long as the rivers look right and the geography is somewhat plausible then it's good enough for me. Your terrain colors seem pretty good so I'd stick with those.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is what would equate to Europe in terms of size. I hope to have more of a world completed once book one is done.

Heimurinn refers to the continent but the nation's know nothing of what lies west, East, North or south of them. Also it is pretty much centre of what would be the Atlantic sized ocean, at an area which equates to north Africa in terms of longitude.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

So what we're looking at here is something about the size of the Mediterranean and surrounds and located roughly in the same area. I'd be tempted to make the continents a little more robust or fat (less squiggly) and stick a few islands out in the middle between the two continents and set them up as trading magnates or "ancient seers with mystic wisdom" kind of things. I can dig it.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-17-2015 at 08:26 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah when I make more of the world the larger continents will be bigger, less straggly and have some mountain ranges.

Can anyone give me tips on making borders for counties and countries. Everything I do ends up just awful.