Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP - My firts MAP - Photoshop

It is possible to have large areas without rivers. They will form if there is enough precipitation. If the area is dry, they might have a river flowing from a wetter region. if it's not the case, it's possible to have no rivers or just small seasonal rivers.

I was thinking at Egypt and the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_Depression
    it's completely dry and under the sea level.

Blog Entries

Thanks very much, Deadshade and Azelor!
    I applied the changes, hope now it be correct.

Another question about the map. The next step is the climatology. How can I define that? It's a fantasy world, but I want to continue with the realism; I thought the following items: the continent is located in the northern hemisphere, near to the northern pole. The south of the continent is close to the Equator line. I don't know how to define the winds, rains, forest regions etc without lose the logic. Can you help me?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROVENDORDOS.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	70417

Thanks again!

The blue line is the polar circle?

Blog Entries

Something like that. From that line up is the closest zone to the North Pole, and the coldest of the northern hemisphere.

Ok I noticed that you changed the 200 km for 400 km...

So based on the size of Earth were 1 degree of latitudes is about 111,1 km , I get the blue line at 43 degrees north (let's say 45 to make it simpler)
    and the top of the map is at 65 degrees (latitude of the polar circle)

Is that ok ?

Blog Entries

Hmm, yes I guess. I don't thought so specific haha. You have to say to me if the map it's ok, I'm not an expert haha. Need your advice.

45 degrees is were we have temperate climates. For example, the northern continent : the west coast climate could be similar to those of England, The Netherlands or Germany. The northern tip would be like southern Norway.

Blog Entries

Exactly, I thought the northernmost be similar to Norway, and in the north of the continent (just below the blue line), such as Germany. So I did some fjords in the north, I think they are well placed. Don't know about glaciations. And I don't know where the winds and rains could come. In the area of Ecuador will be some jungle, of course, only if rains are more present in that area.

What other things should I keep in mind about the weather? What is right and what is wrong?
    Thanks, wondering this things it's what I need!

Explaining how the climate works is really long. Unless you have a specific question you can have a look here : http://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/a/1395/147

basically, the last part and the image summarize the important characteristics to consider when placing the climates (with that specific system of classification)

I can also recommend this topic: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=27118
    while the method is interesting and gives some nice information, it doesn't give really good results when it comes to climates.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Azelor. I read that link and I made some sketches I want to show you.

The first one is a sketch of the air pressure. I understood that in the poles there's high pressure and it's cold, and in the equator there's low pressure and it's hot.

Name:	Climatología 1 - Temperaturas 1.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	70421

The second is a picture of the winds. I understood that the rotation of the wind depends on air pressure, and near Equador, Subtropical ridge and the polar front, the hot air (low pressure) and cold (high pressure) collide.

Name:	Climatología 1 - Vientos.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	70422

And the third picture is on possible areas of rain. I think the rains are formed where there is more humidity, not too dependent on wind currents. The main zones where rains form are near the Ecuador and the polar front. I scored some areas where the probability of rain is higher, also the side of the mountains where the clouds precipitate, passing dry to the other side.

Name:	Climatología 1 - Lluvias.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	70423

Please, correct the mistakes you find and tell me what you think.
    I'll doing the map of the zones with their local climate.
    Thanks!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast