Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings guildspeople

Special Envoy, I agree with Redrobes. Who best to ask about an App but the person who wrote it, and Waldronate is a member here. From memory though I think there are two versions of Wilbur. The one is a 64 bit app that wont run on everything. There is also another version that shouldn't give you a problem, but if I remember correctly its not that easy to find on the site.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Guild Applicant

Thank you again for the kind suggestions concerning my little problem! Torq, I was unaware of that difference between Wilbur's versions, I will try to search for that other one. I recalled that the great programmer (more rep? - just kidding) that created Wilbur was a member of these fora, but as I cannot yet send PMs (what I can perfectly understand), I thought that maybe it would be better to ask like that - also, I did not remember that the person I should be looking for was Waldronate. Sorry! NeoKnight, my proposed reasons for the rep were not serious, of course, and yours are certainly pretty good! Rep'ed!!! Though I do not think that it made that much difference for you...

Blog Entries

If you run a PC then you generally run with a Pentium type processor which has many revisions but one of the bigger ones is that the new ones are 64 bit and the older ones are 32 bit. All of the 64 bit ones can run 32 bit code but the 32 bit ones cannot run 64 bit code.

To run a 64 bit application you need a 64 bit capable CPU - like a Core 2 type or Athlon 64 type. You also need a 64 bit OS which could be XPx64 or Vista64.

Otherwise all other windows OS'es like Windows 2000, XP and Vista are 32 bit. A Pentium, Celeron, or a Core (not Core 2) etc are all 32 bit only CPU's

So when looking for a version, it would have to be a windows type and it should say 32 bit or x86 which are the 32 bit ones or 64 bit, or x64 which are the 64 bit variants.

Heres the Wilbur link:
    http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html

and the 32bit download link:
    http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/Wilbur32_Setup.zip

I am sure Joe will expand on anything else I have not covered.

Guild Applicant

Redrobes, yours was a very thorough answer / post, and I am most thankful for it. Since Torq's post I have searched for, and downloaded, the appropriate version of Wilbur, as well as I successifully have installed and played with it. As I can gather from your explanation, it seems that, though my CPU is 64-bit capable, my OS is not, which is quite frustrating... Well, there is nothing to do about it. Anyway, I am planing to use this program mainly to suggest different shapes and patterns for the maps I will draw in Gimp and Inkscape. This reminds me that I should also look into your Instant Islands.

On a completely unrelated topic, I was wondering how could I participate more in these fora, i. e., apart from posting WIPs. The thing is that I do not want to be here just to lurk, but I certainly am not a fully fledged cartographer. Moreover, I cannot tell people what I like and what o do not like in maps I cannot even dream of producing... The only thing that I am certain that I can do is to try tutorials. As always, it is a pleasure to be amongst you.

Welcome to the Guild!

My best advice: get a writting Tablet. They take some getting used to(especially with GIMP as it does not seem to remember settings) but can help you do things you just cannot easily do without it.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12