Thread: Critique my Climatology

Help Critique my Climatology

I'm working my way through the climate cookbook, and before repeating the pressure-and-wind map for the opposite time of year, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. How does this look to everyone? It is summer in the southern hemisphere on this map. Does it make sense? If not, why?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	70312

- in the right part of the map, near the equator, you have wind moving toward the east, they should move to the west. It generally form some kind of belt around the equator going westward.
    - in the north, the winds near the low pressure areas should move mostly toward the east.

I think that's all

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Current Map.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	70538
    How do the currents I have look, and what should I do on the north and south sides of continents?
    Last edited by samkatz; 01-31-2015 at 08:43 PM.

They look a bit disjointed. Remember that ocean currents are an interlocking system of currents. Its not just a current here and there but the way all of the water moves around. Cold currents sink, hot currents rise, if I were to give you an advice, I'd say try drawing one successive line of a current that splits and changes temperature as it reaches shores, underwater ridge lines, the equator, polar ice caps, etc.

You do have the right idea with cold currents coming down from the poles, and hot currents rising from the equator so you're on your way.
    A map must contain the following four elements: Title, Author, Scale and Orientation. It should also contain these two elements: Date and Legend. Without these, it's just a piece of paper with something on it.

You should have a look at Pixie's tutorial here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=27118
    It does not cover all the variables but it should be enough.

Guild Artisan

It helps for getting comments to :
    - put the equator, 30° and 60° on the map
    - give the scale (large planet ? small planet ?)
    - give the orientation of the rotation of the planet and the angular velocity

Depending on these parameters the pressure system you show can be all good or all wrong. Just eyballing and considering a very Earth like planet, I miss the low pressures at equator especially over the continents