Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: January 2015 Challenge: The Lost Village

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Quoting Arsheesh, "Lowering the opacity of the texture by 30-50% would probably really help."

I think that saturation will only adjust the tone

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    I guess I don't understand. The texture is all there is, made up of several layers, each of which contributes some of the texture look. If I reduce the total opacity, all that does is let more of the underlying brown show through, darkening everything. If I reduce the opacity of any individual layer, that simply changes the look of the texture.

Put a white (or black) layer behind your stack of textures, so that making it transparent reveals the white or black (depending on what kind of contrast you require), and not show the brown behind it. I often do this in the various map objects and constructions in the layers of the map.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Put a white (or black) layer behind your stack of textures, so that making it transparent reveals the white or black (depending on what kind of contrast you require), and not show the brown behind it. I often do this in the various map objects and constructions in the layers of the map.
    Thank you for the idea, Gamerprinter, but I think the problem lies in not wanting to so seriously affect the parchment look with a darkening or lightening underlayer. I've done a little modification to some of the texture layers that may help what people are seeing as "too strong". We'll see....

Banned User

I've added some "stuff" to the front sides of the mountains. It's a bit pathetic, but at least it does break up the monotony of them.

I plan a little more work on the waterfall, but after that, I think this is close to done. All comments welcome!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Challenge Jan2015 10.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	70412

Guild Artisan

Of course, as they say, a map is never finished. But one must say stop at some moment.
    I find it really nice and it earns well the title of lost village.
    Ah, true, I find that your "stuff" is too much identical in form and size but never mind. It's a great map.

I think that 'stuff' is fine for a first go. I agree with Deadshade about it, but, for now, I'd leave it. The farmland looks a bit small (each of those 'fields' is smaller than a house), but that's a fairly minor criticism.

The main suggestion I have is actually one I offered a few days ago: lower the opacity of the linework. The jet-black lines, especially on the mountains, do not look realistic, and nor do they suit the other map elements.

By the way, the parchment texture is improving with each installment.

THW
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 01-27-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    Of course, as they say, a map is never finished. But one must say stop at some moment.
    I find it really nice and it earns well the title of lost village.
    Ah, true, I find that your "stuff" is too much identical in form and size but never mind. It's a great map.
    Sigh .... when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    I think that 'stuff' is fine for a first go. I agree with Deadshade about it, but, for now, I'd leave it. The farmland looks a big small (each of those 'fields' is smaller than a house), but that's a fairly minor criticism.
    That's a good point, I'll puff them up a bit, thanks.

The main suggestion I have is actually one I offered a few days ago: lower the opacity of the linework. The jet-black lines, especially on the mountains, do not look realistic, and nor do they suit the other map elements.
    That's just my oversight again. I raised it up to add the new lines and forgot to reduce it back.

By the way, the parchment texture is improving with each installment.
    This is the part that I'm just taking on faith from all of you. To me, I have lost that gorgeous golden color and have nothing left but a dull grey. Maybe it's that fractal art was my first art love and that's often bold colors.

I didn't mind the original parchment, but now that I see it this way, I have to agree, this is even better.

"This is the part that I'm just taking on faith from all of you. To me, I have lost that gorgeous golden color and have nothing left but a dull grey. Maybe it's that fractal art was my first art love and that's often bold colors. "

Maybe your monitor is set differently, This last map is not as intense as the previous one, but it is far from dull grey. I still have lots of golden color on my screen.
    Last edited by Bogie; 01-27-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Guild Artisan

I have plenty golden too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast