Thread: First Real Attempt in GIMP

Guild Applicant

Wip First Real Attempt in GIMP

Hey all. I found the Cartographer's Guild a few years back and fooled around here or there in GIMP, but never did much overall. Recently, though, I've been working on a new campaign world for a Pathfinder game. So I decided to look into some tutorials in an attempt to actually begin to learn how to draw a regional map in GIMP. And instead of chickening out and lurking, I decided to finally post a map! I used the Artistic Maps in GIMP tutorial for inspiration. The map is still a work in progress, as it is missing landmarks and several labels. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regional Map.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	70449

Banned User

Hello hattymchappy, welcome to the Guild! Glad you finally decided to join the fun

Kudos for posting a map on your first post My big complaint would be that mountains never grow in circles I like the colors and the texture you've used, and the forests look nice Have some rep!

Nice map dude, A great first attempt. I concur with chick tradition mountains would never form in a circle but who know if your world they mightn't have been formed naturally

Guild Applicant

That's really good to know about the mountains. Thanks! I guess I never thought about that or noticed in real life. The circle of mountains in the southwest were supposed to essentially be a huge crater formed by an asteroid hitting the surface thousands of years ago. As for the northern mountains (a.k.a. The Dwarven Lands), would you consider that too circular, or were you guys more referring to the southwest?

Banned User

All of it. Natural mountains form in linear ranges. Craters are an exception, of course, but they don't look like natural mountains either, they have a distinctive shape, including a central peak. Google some pictures of mountain ranges and of craters and study the look, that will help you visualize what it is that you want your map to show