Thread: Tiny Kingdom

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Default Tiny Kingdom

Hello again everyone,

Let me start by saying I am not a digital artist at all. So I decided to use Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer 3+ program to create this map. As many of you know Campaign Cartographer 3+ is based on a CAD program and not an art program like Photoshop or Gimp. Some people think this makes the learning curve to use the program pretty high but I find it not so bad.

So the other day I wanted to start a new D&D Next campaign with a group of friends and decided to create my own world instead of using a published one. So I set about making this map to represent one Tiny Kingdom on that world. Sadly, since the campaign is still just in the note taking stage, the world doesn't have a name yet, and neither does the kingdom. But I wanted it to represent a more northern region of the world so I used the Mike Schley style when I made this map.

Well, hopefully I can get this to load nice enough so that people can all of the detail clearly and hopefully the image isn't too small. Anyway, Thanks for looking and any comments are always welcome. Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiny kingdom.JPG 
Views:	299 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	71557  

Blog Entries

Cool map!

My thoughts are that the Northern Wastes are "too busy". Maybe adjust the opacity for that area or go with a more subtle fill style. Also, while your labels are fine and legible, they really make the map even more "busy" to the eye in addition to covering up the beautiful artwork. I tried to find the thread where I found a pdf on labeling maps, but I couldn't find it... but I have it, so I'm here is a link to it.

What are your thoughts about CC3+ so far? Not the art styles included, but the newer interface, if you've used a previous version that is...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Thanks Wthrasherb.

I noticed that it did become too busy when I uploaded it. The funny thing about Campaign Cartographer is that the words scale with the magnification when you use the program. I didn't know that the pic I uploaded would go to the maximum distance out and bring all of those words together on the map. It certainly makes it more busy than the one I look at on my screen. And a lot of the detail cannot be seen at the scale this website zooms to. I wonder if I can get it to not do that from my end. Anyway, now I am working on removing a lot of the labels to give it a less crowded feel, at least for this website.

As far as cc3+ goes, yes, I like it tons more than cc3. Everything moves faster. You can actually work on things without having to shut off sheets and effects. you can spin your mouse wheel and the map zooms in or out without the program crashing. The print wizard is one of the most useful parts of the program if you are into printing your maps. Overall, it is just much better.