Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The US in 2085

Map The US in 2085

This is a a map of the USA in the same futuristic rpg setting than my LA Metropolis map. It's a retro future setting, inspired by K.Dick novels and Blade Runner notably. As usual, the help of the guild has been useful !
    The reworked base map comes from Konrad Weber's site here.
    I've created a thread for "old style" shaded relief resources here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BR USA.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	69495
    Hope you'll like it (even if the button is not back yet )
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 12-08-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Just forgot a layer...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Well, well, well...no comments on this? A very nice map Ilanthar, with a pleasant color scheme and a cool retro sci-fi feeling. Great job ! Ok, a few nitpicks now The legend box would be aesthtetically better a bit down (to avoid the slight overlap with the eastern part of New england peninsula) and the curves you chose on states labels look sometimes a bit odd. Looks like some graticues aligned labels but without the graticules to suggest it Can't like it so I guess some rep will do the trick
    Last edited by - Max -; 12-05-2014 at 07:40 AM.

What! But I wrote a comment ... Guess I forgot to post it. Oh well, again –

A great map Ilanthar, I really like that you followed the same setting as your LA map. The style is very convincing for the theme, and speaks for itself to what it depicts. Any plans to make another with this style? Oh, and the addition of the flag added a lot for me. Would have loved to see something similar on your LA map.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Thanks a lot guys!

By - Max -
    The legend box would be aesthtetically better a bit down (to avoid the slight overlap with the eastern part of New england peninsula
    Well, yeah, I confess I've been a bit lazy. I added the title and flag without redoing the frame, and that's the reason...

Looks like some graticues aligned labels but without the graticules to suggest it
    Actually, I tried to follow the borders (but a lot of american borders are following graticules, so you're still right).

Can't like it so I guess some rep will do the trick
    Sure, you're too kind !

By Tainotim
    What! But I wrote a comment ... Guess I forgot to post it. Oh well, again –
    I think you did, but in the WIP Thanks anyway!

Any plans to make another with this style?
    I could have a need for most of the continents, but Europe for sure.

I like it man!

Interesting and effective use of futuristic fonts over the traditional topography. I like the nuclear trefoils -- perhaps also create the fallout zones?

excellent map.
    just curious, what's the story about what got nuked and what didn't?
    >>< drow ><<

Thanks Forge22 and Drow!

By Forge22
    I like the nuclear trefoils -- perhaps also create the fallout zones?
    I did indicate the fallout zones on my old paper map, but I didn't really like it.. Plus, in the background, nature took over in strange ways in those irradiated areas. So deserts and forests mainly, still dangerous but not "devastated zones". I tried to show that only with coloring. The nuclear trefoils are there to point the destroyed cities/areas - where the missiles have fallen.

By Drow
    just curious, what's the story about what got nuked and what didn't?
    Shortly : there were 2 steps in the war (concerning the US). When the nuclear missiles reached their targets, it was at first big cities and or with a strategic/military importance (like Austin, then, purely military sites (air force bases north of LA, naval shipyard as near Norfolk, etc.). Some big cities have been spared because the "ennemy(ies)" intended to invade it, and some because of a system of defense or pure luck.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Great work on this, Ilanthar. Love the colors, the subdued topography, the font. I can't like it or rep you just yet, but rest assured it's awesome.

That's excellent work, Ilanthar! Reputation-earning quality. Though I do agree with Max about the little overlap, I also agree with all the good points mentioned thus far. Really nice. Hmm... I wonder what my home state is like in that future.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks a lot to both of you!

@Chashio : I'll certainly take that into account if I ever do a Europe map. In this setting your home state is cold, wild, and is one of the region the most spared by fallouts. So, one of the regions where there are still farms and small settlements, plus real sources of non dangerous food (game in the forests and fishing possibilities in the rivers and ocean). It's also a region with military survey installations, turned mainly toward the canadian border.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast