Thread: Wilbur longer and wider rivers

Default Wilbur longer and wider rivers

Hello,

I am trying to figure out wilbur.
    When i do a incise erosion i get alot of small rivers. I can specify the amount of small rivers and the depth of the small rivers but i have a hard time creating longer and wider rivers.

Any tips on that?
    thanks

Filter>>Fill>>Fill Basins, then incise flow. Wider will be achieved by increasing Amount on the incise flow dialog.

Thanks! It works to a certain degree but i am still doing something wrong. I fill the basins which give me these even surfaces and when i incise flow, i get straight unnatural looking rivers. When i add noise before hand, i get alot of small rivers again.
    Any tips?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	70669

Guild Artisan

Noise is a way to go before fill basins. You can make the noise-fill routine 2 times before incising if your basin is to large.
    You can control (vaguely) the number of rivers with the flow parameter. High flow, few rivers and low flow many rivers.

However when it happens on many spots or the basins are too large, it means that your design is flawed. This typically appears when people are "modelling" their mountains and don't pay attention to the rest. Exponent or rescale are often culprits of making a flat world.
    This then leads to large surfaces all about the same height and you can see that as a high spike in the Histogram which is in the Window tab. When sculpting a height field, the Histogram is really your friend.
    When that happens, you then get big basins all the time because your world became simply too flat.

The solution I use (if the noise solution fails) is to scrap all or a large part of mountains and redo a height field with much more altitude variability.

Thanks! Very helpful info Deadshade