Thread: How do i turn a square projection map into a dymaxion projection?

Help How do i turn a square projection map into a dymaxion projection?

How do i change the projection of a square map into a dymaxion projection. Basically im in a fan theory forum about the elder scrolls, and im trying to make a migration map for the races of nirn. I have made a very crude nirn map and have absolutely no idea how to get it into dymaxion projection. Ive tried using G.Projector but to no avail. I thought where better to ask for help than the cartographers guild! If anyone could simply do it for me ill be buzzing, but if not id deeply appreciate being shown how to do it. Heres an image, for any TES fans out there, forgive the terrible Atmora and the lack of Lyg, its a work in progress.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nirn.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	394.2 KB 
ID:	70914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nirn.png 
Size:	394.2 KB 
ID:	70914

There isn't a single "dymaxion projection." According to Wackypedia, that projection may be one of a number of different projections, with the most common one being a near-regular icosahedron that's interrupted in specific ways to highlight the desired feature (e.g. landmasses or oceans). You should be able to accomplish this sort of thing by projecting your world onto an icosahedron, printing out and folding that icosahedron into 3D, eyeballing the best fit for your land masses, and then chopping up the icosahedral faces into your final shape. You might also be able to get away with something like a Lambert azimuthal equal-area projection (see attached).

Name:	nirn-lambert-azimuthal-equal-area.png 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	70918

Blog Entries

a bit technical ....
    the GDAL and proj4 tools in the PERL cpan GEO: tools has that ability
    http://search.cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-D...12/Dymaxion.pm
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    There isn't a single "dymaxion projection." According to Wackypedia, that projection may be one of a number of different projections, with the most common one being a near-regular icosahedron that's interrupted in specific ways to highlight the desired feature (e.g. landmasses or oceans). You should be able to accomplish this sort of thing by projecting your world onto an icosahedron, printing out and folding that icosahedron into 3D, eyeballing the best fit for your land masses, and then chopping up the icosahedral faces into your final shape. You might also be able to get away with something like a Lambert azimuthal equal-area projection (see attached).

Name:	nirn-lambert-azimuthal-equal-area.png 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	70918
    Thank you that actually helps a lot, and the alternative projection you provided i feel works better for a fictional world. Again thanks for the help!