Thread: Forests. Ugh...

Wip Forests. Ugh...

So I'm working on an overworld type map.. Erros (please keep in mind it's still a work in progress).. And there is a large forest in the north of the map. I've spent at least 2 days drawing and redrawing, trying different styles and techniques. I cant find any that I feel match the rest of my map. Almost all of them begin to feel so "cartoony".. Any suggestions?

Howdy, White, and welcome to CG.

I think you'll need to provide some examples of your forests, so that we can see what you've tried. It is always easier to correct something tangible, than attempt to instruct from nothing.

That said, there are tutorials around the place that can probably help you find what you're looking for. These are two excellent tutorials on DeviantArt, but by CG members:
    Torstan's: http://www.deviantart.com/art/How-to...ests-295836612
    Djekspek's: http://djekspek.deviantart.com/art/T...ence-291587839

Hope it helps.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Banned User

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to see your map on that website. It is far too large and while I did eventually find a way to make it zoom down, then it's fuzzy and hard to read. I recommend you resize it to about 4Mb and post it here using the CG image system.

Ok, here's one that is 1/3 the size. (edited as suggested by chick)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	70799
    Last edited by White; 02-11-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Banned User

Much better! There is a very nice, easy to use system right here on CG for uploading your images into threads, or into your albums. You might try using that, since everyone here is used to it.

I like your mountains, very nice! I like the colors you have used to separate political regions. Now you need forests and rivers.

From the title of your thread, forests are the next problem you seem to be worrying about.

There are several ways to make forests, but given the mountain style you chose, and the scale of your map, I suggest forests of this style:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=70791

with appropriate color, of course.

Thanks for the advice on posting pictures, that is much better. And I'm afraid that that style forest is what I tried first and happens to be my least favorite fit with my map. :/ I like TheHoarseWisperer's suggestion the best (http://www.deviantart.com/art/How-to...ests-295836612) I think because it doesn't show the tree trunks poking out from the bottom.

But I really like that style in other people's maps. That map you linked, click, was sweet! Maybe I'm just being too critical of myself and should just go with it.
    Last edited by White; 02-11-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Banned User

Here is another example, this time in color.....

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=29266

These forests are drawn and colored in the same way as the mountains are, that is what makes them seem to match (Pvt note: thanks Deadshade, who finally got this concept thru to me )

Here's a little tip from me: when choosing a style, a lot of people--especially if they aren't too confident in their abilities--go for something they believe is achievable. The problem with this is that it does not take into account visual consistency. You see this a lot when people use downloaded brush-sets: the mountains come from one set, the forests another, and the town icons a third, etc. The result is, it just looks wrong.

Now, if I can point to Chick as an example of what to do right: despite a lack of faith in her drawing abilities, she decided to practice drawing mountains, and so started this thread (uh, I can't find the link: Chick, would you mind supplying the link to your Freehand Mountains WIP?). She took advantage of the wisdom and friendliness of other guild members, and it really paid off. Result: improved drawing ability, and the ability to draw mountains specifically.

Then, she started this thread (the same one linked in her post) to learn to draw forests, and the same thing happened. Result: improved drawing ability, and the ability to draw forests that are stylistically consistent with her mountains.

The lesson here: taking the time to try harder methods and improve your abilities, results in better and more consistent maps, and is definitely worth it. (In the last challenge, Chick's map almost beat the reigning monarch of mapmaking, Max; a difficult achievement no matter how experienced an artist you may be).

Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    Thanks for the advice on posting pictures, that is much better. And I'm afraid that that style forest is what I tried first and happens to be my least favorite fit with my map...But I really like that style in other people's maps. That map you linked, click, was sweet! Maybe I'm just being too critical of myself and should just go with it.
    Do what you think looks best. If you like the style in Torstan's tutorial, go with that; if you prefer Chick's forests, try those. But choose a style for its visual appeal, not some other reason. If your efforts don't look good enough to you, rather than looking for a different style, why not post your efforts here and ask for a critique? People are always happy to help.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Banned User

The "Freehand mountains" thread is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...429#post262429

And if you start at the beginning and see how THW and Deadshade (and with help from a few others as well) dragged me kicking and screaming through iterations of mountain drawing, it becomes a tutorial in itself

Cheers!