Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concetron (City Designer 3)

I love the look of your city so far. It is amazing that you could do such a large map with CD3 so fast! I have been tinkering with it some, but have not done anything like that so far. It is a great tool, and does even more than CD2 did. It is very useful for getting good looking towns done quickly.

I do have to agree about the buildings though. Most of the medieval cities were built with the houses touching - even sharing walls. I think what Ravells said has some merit, but the "apartments" that he mentioned would be more along the lines of a tenements. It would be more like a two story house that is subdivided into tow or three - one or two room homes (per floor). They would still be only a little larger than some of the more modest homes in a city.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Landorl,

You are absolutely right, like Ravells.
    That's why I like that example I included on the previous page. The houses do share walls there. For my next city I am going to experiment with that.

Do keep in my though that I created this map to be included on a small page in a novel I am working on (and self-publishing). We are looking at this map really zoomed in and then you can clearly see the houses don't share walls. But on a small, printed page it looks different. It wasn't even actually my intent to create such a huge map
    Although I must say I love it...

I am leaving this map as it is right now and am looking forward to start work on a new, smaller city this weekend.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 09-19-2008 at 11:13 AM.

My apologies, appartments was probably the wrong word - perhaps dwellings housing more than one family, might be better, but yes...abutting walls is definitely the way to go. But I do underline that this is a fantasy city so if it looks cool then go with it. And your city does look cool.

Guild Apprentice
    Earth, North American Continent, Southeast USA
    Blog Entries

that's a beautiful map!

i'm not sure how many native cities i'll portray in my fan fic...basically, the story is about an antrhopoligical expedition to a far away region of the galaxy so i'd probably have to make towns, villages and major cities on dozens of alien worlds with unique styles for each world....i've designed one city already and am working on a second one so far...bu it's so far just the capital cities of 2 of my worlds...

Praise

I'm not even going to ask how long it took you to produce that. If it were me, we'd be talking months and months. I just have absolutely no patience for designing cities larger than a small town for the most part. In any event, most excellent work.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Thanks!
    This version took me about 20 hours I think. The new version took 30+ hours. They were both done in a couple of days
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Wow. Fancy map. Have some rep.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123