Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calandyrion

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Nice one Sap, looks really good and as an experiment I think you rocked it. If there was one thing that I'm feeling about this it's the mountains having all this character but the flatter areas being basically barren. This is an area my wife keeps busting my chops about so I'm working on a solution myself. I should probably post my experiments up here as you are but you seem to go all the way through and do labeling and all that.

Good job.

Oh, and thanks for the link to the relief site. That's pretty cool
    Thank you, Jax.
    You are right about the flatter areas. But as the reliefs are the determining element of this style, it's difficult/tricky to make the forest stronger in a way that they don't clash with the rest of the map.

Banned User

I've looked long and hard at one of the best shaded relief maps around here, Central Alemnia, and it's got a lot more relief than just the mountains. I think to do this kind of map well requires more SR texture than just the mountain ranges. That's a definite failing of some other recent SR maps -- nothing to them but a mountain range and some color. You might try finding some more less mountainous SR and adding it into the flatter areas, see if that works

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I've looked long and hard at one of the best shaded relief maps around here, Central Alemnia, and it's got a lot more relief than just the mountains. I think to do this kind of map well requires more SR texture than just the mountain ranges. That's a definite failing of some other recent SR maps -- nothing to them but a mountain range and some color. You might try finding some more less mountainous SR and adding it into the flatter areas, see if that works
    It's surely a matter of time and effort. But I usually tend to make a first map for a style test relatively simple. That's mostly enough to show what works well and where are still flaws.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12