Thread: Pangea for Storied Myth (commission)

Banned User

Default Pangea for Storied Myth (commission)

Hello Everyone,

This map was done for a commission from Storied Myth, and is a new style for me, although not particularly complex. The mountains are hand drawn and shaded, but I used a slightly different shading method than I have used before, with colors to indicate ridges rather than lines. It's a style I saw on a map similar to this one. I also did the trees by hand, including drawing them and coloring them various shades, then clone stamping them into the map.

The map is to be used for an online game designed for students, and will contain puzzles to solve as they travel through the world in teams, so the detailed map content is deliberately minimal and is provided by the game setup and the puzzles.

I really enjoyed doing this map, it's always fun to do something new, rather than rehash a style that you've done before. Comments are welcome

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cornelia Yoder - Pangea for Storied Myth.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	70959

Special credit to Ramah for his beautiful brushes that I used and colored for the towns.
    Last edited by Chick; 02-17-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Nice work, Chick. This mountain style works well.

What a coincidence that both this map and this one have places called Laurentia!

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Nice work, chick! I especially like those mountains, but there's a rightness? to all the different land elements and water details as well as the lack of a coast line and the color combinations that just works really well.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Nice work, Chick. This mountain style works well.

What a coincidence that both this map and this one have places called Laurentia!

THW
    Yep, but I didn't invent the name, it came with the job

Thank you, Chashio and THW, I like how it came out, even though in some ways it seems simplistic. Delighted that you like it as well
    Last edited by - Max -; 02-18-2015 at 05:58 AM. Reason: double post merging

Guild Artisan

Ah I must say that these labels are something !
    Perhaps they could have been a little desaturated in order to not to overwhelm the map. Actually I have the impression that the map is just an excuse to display the perfect labels
    Personnally I prefer mountain features that are both outlined and shaded - the reason is that handdrawn lines convey realistic information about the slope, mass and ruggedness what (simple) shades don't. But experimenting is always good.

Congrats on the commission, it turned out very nicely. I really like the town/city icons, and the trees and mountains are very nice as well. Some constructive criticism; the labels, while nice seem a little incongruous with the map. I think it is both the bevel-emboss and the high contrast that is the issue. For a hand drawn map such as this I'd recommend going with a solid color (and perhaps lowering the opacity) with an outline. Also, it seems to me that since the trees and mountains have been outlined, the coasts and rivers ought likewise to have an outline that demarcates the land from the sea. Great work though!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Pretty map with good colors!
    My two cents of personnal taste : I would have put a coastline and no effect on the labels. Other than that, good work and I really dig the Whale Lake (excellent shape!).

By THW
    If I recall well, Laurentia was one of the past continent of Earth (Like the Pangea or Gondwana).

Banned User

Thank you all for the excellent comments. Sometimes things like the coastline just aren't as obvious to me, thinking that the shading was doing the job, so I really appreciate all the constructive criticism a lot!