Thread: WIP - Floating Isles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip

Thanks for the encouragement.

Here is the finished ink work. The circled areas are important settlements located on the upper surface of the floating isles. Weather approaches from the far side of the isle and the body of the isle and opposite cliffs act as a sort of natural barrier to wind and storms...thus why most larger ports and settlements are built on that side of an isle.

One of the locations is the Duchy of Krymone and the City State of Krymone itself is circled. Krymone has a sort of early renaissance period tech level / conquistador feel and is engaged in the conversion of viking / iron age style pagani dwelling at the interior of the isle.

The floating isles are plagued with something called "the dust" which taints the living and animates the dead. Because the Isles of Krymone had been a frequently contested battlefield in ages past the dust has plenty of fodder to animate, forcing civilized areas to surround themselves with a wall to keep out the evil stalking the countryside after dark. The denizens of the isles use flying mounts and specifically dragons to attempt to fly up and destroy incoming storms of the dust as much as possible before they arrive at the isles. Dragon Riders of Pern meets Dawn of the Dead and The Village.

I didn't have a chance to paint this yet but I have my paints ready and will break ground on that tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OceTDS-000473.pdf  
    Edward M Kann
    Writer Guy / Sometimes Artist
    www.rocketshipempires.com