Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pyramid of Shadows

Quote Originally Posted by matthew_stryker View Post
    I just found these maps, and I desperately need them for my game. I have no idea how to print these things out to scale. Could anyone please tell me how to do this?

Neon, you're the man.
    Welcome to the Guild! Looks like T4 will print properly at 72 dpi. It's 17" x 18", though, so you'll be printing more than one page. We generally recommend posterazor: http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/ for cutting up an image to be printed in sections.

To determine scaling for a D&D map, count the number of squares in either direction (horizontal or vertical). View the properties of the image with the method of your choice—I like to view the image at full size in my browser, right-click, and choose "properties." Look for the image dimensions and note the pixel count in the dimension you chose to measure. The first number is horizontal pixels, and the second is vertical pixels. Since you know that a square is one inch to a side, it's as simply as dividing the number of pixels by the number of squares you counted, and that's the dpi (dots per inch) you need to print at.

So, to use T4 as an example, I see that it is 18 squares wide, and the image dimensions are 1296 x 1223. The first number is the horizontal dimension, so 1296 pixels / 18 squares = 72 pixels / square. 1 square = 1 inch, so 72 pixels / inch. When printed, a pixel becomes a "dot," which means 72 dpi.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 03-25-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks guys, I'll give this a try right now. And thank you for the speedy responses.

EDIT: It worked and I'm printing them now. Neon, if you're ever in South Florida, there's a seat at my table for you.
    Last edited by matthew_stryker; 03-23-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Midgardsormr;

Thanx for explaining what I could not! REPPED!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Here they are the final maps for Pyramid of Shadows!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1.png 
Views:	817 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	11952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N1.PNG 
Views:	865 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	11953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N2.PNG 
Views:	876 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	11954  

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Ok, so I lied above, HERE are the final maps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z1.PNG 
Views:	775 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	11955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z2.PNG 
Views:	841 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	11956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z3.png 
Views:	809 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	11957  

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    In making the map, knowing I had a jungle with a 50 foot clearing area with jungle around it,
    Absolutely superb set of battle maps there, Daniel. Great work. I was very impressed with the Palm Tree symbols in map A1.

WotC placed Pyramid of Shadows the Winterbole Forest in Nentir Vale (although they mention it does move around). According to the DMG:

"The Nentir Vale is a northern land, but it sees relatively little snow - winters are windy and bitterly cold... ...Summers are cool and mild..."

However, it goes on to say the forest is lush, and the artwork that comes with that particular encounter does indeed look more like jungle than a "northern" forest. A pyramid hidden in a steaming jungle? I actually think your interpretation of its location is a better setting than the one WotC have used, and was so inspired that I decided not only would the pyramid move, but so would the terrain surrounding it, capturing flora and fauna from wherever it visited and transporting them to "foreign" regions, yet sustaining them like it sustains the inhabitants. Just made a good adventure better IMHO. Maybe when the adventurers leave, they too will end up far, far from where they entered? Nice one.

DMG

Post Huge thanks!

Just wanted to say how appreciative I am of your efforts to create wonderful maps for the community. You're doing great work and myself and my party thanks you.

Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMasterGaz View Post
    Absolutely superb set of battle maps there, Daniel. Great work. I was very impressed with the Palm Tree symbols in map A1.

DMG
    The Palm trees are none other than our own RobA's design. I 'stole them' and put them into CC3 as a symbol set.:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1298

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    The Palm trees are none other than our own RobA's design. I 'stole them' and put them into CC3 as a symbol set.
    Thanks for that link, I just stole them too , and thanks to RobA for designing them. They're unbelievably detailed. I'd just love to be able to make symbol sets that good! Any chance of a few tips or a tut there, Rob?

Also, can ask how you are rendering your stairs? Have you created those as a symbol with a dropshadow and are gradually scaling them. Would love to know. Cheers.

DMG
    Last edited by DungeonMasterGaz; 04-03-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast