I'm always willing to stretch a rationalization to fit an interesting map or fiction scenario. Maybe instead of a standard meteorite it was a tiny fleck of antimatter - i could imagine that as being more of a bomb-like effect than a kinetic impact crater. Maybe even a different penetration amount.

As for the flattening of buildings - yeah, ground-shake and atmospheric shock would probably pulverize or knock over anything other than reinforced bunker-style buildings anywhere on this map. But what if the second map was long enough after the event that there has been some rebuilding? Foundations might survive and surviving people might stubbornly insist on setting their town back up instead of starting over elsewhere. Maybe Rochefort was actually *less* devastated than other cities - if it got nailed by a meteor, what's to say a hundred other cities didn't get hit as well? Mind you, if a whole bunch of cities get impacted, the writer in me is already devising a plot where the meteors were *aimed*, not random :-).... There's a decent-sized island to the southwest - maybe another meteor struck out in the ocean and Rochefort was one of the few coastal places that was not inundated by a tsunami.

Also, the city of Rochefort proper is off to the east a few kilometers; this peninsula is just a suburb.... maybe the city mostly survived and what these maps show is how the cratered area is being redeveloped.

Ha - maybe this isn't a meteor strike at all. The map could be titled "Why we do not permit citizens to perform antimatter research in their basements".