Thread: Help with New world Open source map Code name Kinconage

Question Help with New world Open source map Code name Kinconage

Hello all,
    I'm Faedother and I am new here. I have made dozens of maps for tabletop games and for minecraft servers. I just love making maps. However I wanted to take my map making skills to a new level. So I am trying my hand a realistic maps. So I looked up tutorials and found two I like, one from 2007 (Jeremy Elford Map Tutorials using photoshop and Wilbur) and one from here (arsheesh 's tutorials dealing with Gimp and Wilbur). However I ran into a problem with Wilbur. When I follow Arsheesh's tutorial, the Incise flow does not work. Here is my work flow;
    I started by making a land mass and two islands and converting it into a black and white outline. Then I added Filter Clouds and did some work with brushes and Burn and Dodge to get this image.

Then I imported it into Wilbur and followed his instructions on how to create rivers and I get up to the Incise Flow part.

As you can see, Rivers appear in the preview and everything looks good. However when I hit Okay, nothing happens. This is all I see.

I have to do a Erosion Cycle in order to get rivers to appear.

This does not make sense to me. Well after that I export the height map.

Then I follow Jeremy's tutorial and I end up with this Image.

I think I am doing something wrong. Because the rivers are not coming up very defined and the map just looks too dark and somehow not correct.
    If anyone could help, that would be great and thank you for taking the time to read this post.
    Regards,
    Fae

PS: My map is 5100x3300px at 300 Dpi

What voision of Wilbur do you have? If I remember correctly, some versions from a little ways back seemed to have issues with the preview incision being more pronounced than the final effect. If Waldronate's site was still up, I'd suggest grabbing the latest version. Unfortunately, I don't have the installer, or I'd see if Waldronate would give permission to share it. I could pass you a zip of the exe, but I'm not sure that would work.

In any case Waldronate is frequently on this forum, so he might be more helpful.

This is the website I found for Wilbur. I am not sure if he has okayed it or not. However it is the only place I found. Now I have done some testing with the 1.80 verson. But I am not getting consistent results. If you would like, I can post what I am doing and the results.

Dang! I have 1.83, but I don't have the installer. I hope Waldronate finds time to get that thing back up again. Preferably, with a version 1.85... No. No, I'd just prefer that he gets it back up, then posts 1.85.

It won't help you with your problem (about which I have no clue), but you can set your sea level using Filter > Mathematical > Span for a better view, and a lot of functions you can set to ignore terrain below sea level so that you don't get those rivers flying about. Save it in MDR format to retain your settings.

I just took a closer look at your Incise Flow settings. Try using the Preview button before you hit okay. An exponent of 6.5 is really radical, and probably won't have any noticeable effect except where the accumulated flow is at it's very greatest.

If nothing shows up with the exponent at 6.5(!), try reducing the exponent, and see what the Preview looks like.

How is this coming along? Have you gotten the Incise Flow working with a smaller exponent?