Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ancient (Greek?) City w/Harbor - please help identify?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Ancient (Greek?) City w/Harbor - please help identify?

Ok, I am wondering if one of the very smart people on this forum can help me ... my Google Fu has failed me.

I remember seeing a painting of a city from Greek Myth (not sure if the city was actually Greek) that was essentially a tiered crescent rising in a bowl around a natural harbor. It may have had a large statue of a dude rising out of the water. I really really want to make a city with the same shape but in a different climate and since I have no visual memory all I have is my tantalizing verbal memory of the thing. And all attempts to make it without the reference piece I'm sure is out there somewhere have failed.

Can anyone confirm that such a place (at least mythically) existed and point me toward its name, the painting, or any clue? This is driving me crazy.

Maybe the Colossus of Rhodes

http://www.uniworldnews.org/seven-wo...ancient-world/

Or this painting of Rhodes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhodes.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	68361

or the Lighthouse of Alexandria http://www.pinterest.com/pin/396809417138557470/

I think I found it! Carthage
    http://byzantinemilitary.blogspot.co...justinian.html

Name:	CARTHAGE HARBOR 1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	68362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CARTHAGE HARBOR 3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	68363
    Last edited by Bogie; 10-14-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Hmm. Good suggestion, but it's too flat. The one I'm looking for rose up really steeply, like bleachers in a football stadium (but with buildings instead of chairs). Still, I really appreciate the assistance!

Ack. I feel like an idiot. I found it, but it wasn't a painting at all, it was a matte background on a REALLY bad movie. No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere.

The image I've been searching for is that of Argos from the 2010 version of Clash of the Titans: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...4/4c/Argos.jpg

If anyone knows of a better rendering than this one, or comes across one while surfing the web, please give me a shout.

Oooh, those are very cool pics. I don't care that they weren't the one that was making my head itch, they're going in my city inspiration folder. Thanks Bogie!

Don't know if this is much better, but this has your picture you linked and one more. If you were trying to get it as accurate as possible I guess you could rent the movie (or download) and play on your computer and then take a bunch of screenshots before returning?????

Compte-rendu de ParisFx 2010

Thanks! I really like that second one too.

Well some good visuals were at least one decent thing to come out of that movie. =P

On a side note you can still see the remains of the Carthaginian military harbour on googlemaps to this day!

You know I had to look. The satellite view looks pretty awesome.

I practiced my Google-Fu but came up empty on a different rendering of your city. Came up empty. So I decided to try to find a similar real world example on Google Earth. I checked Greece, Italy, South America, Japan, Norway, Sweden and Turkey. It seems that steep cliffs around a city lead to land slides and rockfalls. Not conducive to building an city. So I checked mountain cities. The closest I found was Machupicchu.

Name:	MachuTop.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	68364

Name:	MachuSide.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	68365

Hope it helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast