Thread: Feb / Mar 2015 Lite Challenge: Create a Mapping Element or Texture.

Info Feb / Mar 2015 Lite Challenge: Create a Mapping Element or Texture.

Create a Mapping Object or Texture.

About 18 months ago, Anomiecoallition suggested a challenge where everyone would make a new mapping object.
    We ran this as the September 2014 Challenge 6 months ago and it had a great turn out and several people suggested we do this as a regular event, so I'm going to try it again as the Lite Challenge this time.
    The rules are simple, create a Mapping Object or Texture that can be used on a map. That gives you a very broad range of possibilities.

You could make a Table, Chest, Bed, Ballista, Fireplace, Trapdoor, Rug, Monster, Person, Sword, or other object that would go in a Fantasy Building or Dungeon. You can put a bunch of them together into what we call a Preset object, like all the furnishings for a Bedroom or Kitchen.
    You could make a Control Console, Life Pod or HyperDrive that would go on a SpaceShip.
    You could make Stone Walls or metallic grids to make the buildings or space ship.
    For those of you who like City, Regional and World Maps, you could make Buildings, Trees, Forests, or Mountains that can be stamped or brushed onto a map.
    Not into that? Then you could make Grunge or Parchment Backgrounds for the map, or a cool new Compass Rose. How about Map Borders or those black lined Illustrations that are on old maps.

RULES:
    Make anything you want to, anything that can be used to create a map. You can make up to 6 versions of your item, or 6 different items, but just one is OK too.
    You can include a little mini map to show your item in use, and if you have multiple objects you want to enter, then use the Latest WIP thingy on your mini map at the end so everyone can see all your objects at the same time when they are voting. But be sure to post each item individually for downloading purposes.

Here is a link to Anomiecoallition's original post. You can see that almost everyone voted in favor of this on his poll and there was a lot of good
    feedback and ideas.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...challenge.html
    +++ ************************************************* +++
    The challenge will run to the 14th of March, then we'll have three (3) days of voting, after which the winner will receive a shiny Silver Compass.

Please remember to title your threads like this: Feb/Mar 2015 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Also don't forget to precede any work-in-progress image with this tag:

### Latest WIP ###

If you don't put that in, the thumbnail scraper won't pick up your image, and no one will see it when it's time to vote.

Time to get Creative!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bogie; 03-01-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Can we do this as part of an ongoing project we already have, for instance creating new tiles for a set we have already started? Or should it be completely new in nature?

I might have a crack at this, though I'm a little nervous because I don't have the skill level anywhere near some of the folks round here. I have an idea, so I might have a poke at it and see if I can come up with something fit for public consumption!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I might have a crack at this, though I'm a little nervous because I don't have the skill level anywhere near some of the folks round here. I have an idea, so I might have a poke at it and see if I can come up with something fit for public consumption!
    Not to worry, no one here was born with a high skill level, they all got it the same way you will, trying, posting, getting critiques, and learning more each time. Go for it

The true test of skill here would be to provide a quality rendering of a barrel full of monkeys. And not the preserved-monkeys-floating-in-brine kind, either, but the full lively troop.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Not to worry, no one here was born with a high skill level, they all got it the same way you will, trying, posting, getting critiques, and learning more each time. Go for it
    Thanks for the encouragement. It's appreciated.

I'll give it a bash this weekend and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Can we do this as part of an ongoing project we already have, for instance creating new tiles for a set we have already started? Or should it be completely new in nature?
    As long as the specific items that you submit are new ( started after 2/17 ) then they qualify. I say "go for it"

Excellent. Extra motivation to finish something. Yes.