Thread: Haluraa redesign: My first Map

Map Haluraa redesign: My first Map

so the inspiration for such an abomination was my complete and utter annoyance with the original map. I GM a D&D campaign set in a Haluraa that's different. (Read:Custom)

This is my first attempt at mapping in general and am looking forward to any and all criticisms!

for reference, I used the tutorial Hand-Drawn Mapping (For the Artistically Challenged)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halruaa.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	70744

Well, I can tell you that it is a lot better than my first attempt at a continent. Keep up the good work and keep practicing! Sorry I can't apply much criticism(As I am new to mapmaking myself), but I can relate to being a GM and getting frustrated with maps that aren't very... reliable. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightbanez View Post
    Well, I can tell you that it is a lot better than my first attempt at a continent. Keep up the good work and keep practicing! Sorry I can't apply much criticism(As I am new to mapmaking myself), but I can relate to being a GM and getting frustrated with maps that aren't very... reliable. Haha.
    haha I was really frustrated with the base Haluraa map only because it was intensely difficult to move the cities or add anything I wanted. Not to mention it was really overly colourful and bright, which didn't mesh well with the much darker battlemaps I was using.

Banned User

Hi Trooper0102, this is a good start for a first map.

My suggestions would include fewer less dense mountains. If you look at natural mountains, they run in long fairly linear ranges, not in massive randomly shaped regions. You might turn some of those mountains into forests, and leave mountain ranges along the coasts.

You seem to have lost the coastline along the west and north.

If you post a larger version next time, it would be easier to see the detail.

I do like the coloring and you've done a good job with realistic river placement. I'll look forward to seeing where go you with this

Have some rep for your first map post!

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    You seem to have lost the coastline along the west and north.
    I had to google for "Haluraa"... but it seems that this is only part of a continent. So there is no coastline on the west and the north... that map "highlights" only a part of the land.

After that little nitpick on chick's criticism , let's go back to the map.

Chick is completely correct in the way the mountains are presented. I looked at several other variants of a "Haluraa" map, and it is clear that there are indeed mountain ranges surrounding this area. Try to depict them in a more linear way instead of this random sprinkling of mountains.

Another thing that I do not really like are the labels.
    The white outline of the text stands out a little too much. You could try to reduce the brightness... even go back to the colour of the background (which in many cases should be the brightest part of the map.)
    You could also try to change the font you used for a simple serifed version. If it is still readable at the size you used, I think Serif fonts always fits into this map style better than a sans-serif.

All in all though... a nicely done map!

Ah sorry, Yeah Haluraa is only a small region within the rest of the world, I should have explained that a little more. ^^

As for the mountains, yes they should be ridges instead of individual mountain peaks. I'm new to all this "art" stuff so I didn't really know how to depict the ranges with this style of map. If anyone could post a demostration or provide visual feedback, I'll try my best to fix it and make it look nicer/more accurate.

I also hate text. lol I didn't like doing them, or how they ended. I will probably change them in the final product (this is version 1)

Banned User

Check out these tutorials, they will give you a really good sense of how to do mountains!

http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2013/05...tain-tutorial/

http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2015/01...ountain-range/

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Check out these tutorials, they will give you a really good sense of how to do mountains!

http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2013/05...tain-tutorial/

http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2015/01...ountain-range/
    Alright! Second try! wish me luck!

Would you like to see my workflow or just general milestones on the second revision?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper0102 View Post
    Would you like to see my workflow or just general milestones on the second revision?
    Workflow is always appreciated. It is always helpful and inspiring to see how others do their things.

sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy over the past couple days, I've realized something that doesn't fit between the mountain range tutorial and the map style-the ranges are 3d compared to the more 2d aspect of the map, so they kinda standout unless I make them really small.