Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chaeron v2 WIP

The mountains look good, are they a brush? If I may make one small suggestion for you to try out, try adding a little green. you want a green that is roughly the same value and saturation as the dark browns, then try painting in green along the base and up along the slopes, not much just a little to give the impression of a treeline. Try it out and see what you get. Oh and another thing to try out is instead of using black make the black a very very dark blue, dark enough so it looks black but not quite. You have to expirament to get it just right. The blue will act as a cool color while the browns are warm it will bring the colors out more.

Keep up the good work.

I've made a few more mountains as a test, I've taken your suggestion and made the outline more subtle on the mountians.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain test.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	71493

Here's another example of the mountains in use

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	71495

The brushes were made by Star Raven, one of the member here.

I do have to say that there is something I don't like with the mountains. I'm not sure if it's because there is not enough contrast or too much yellow?
    Last edited by Azélor; 03-12-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    The brushes were made by Star Raven, one the the member here.

I do have to say that there is something I don't like with the mountains. I'm not sure if it's because there is not enough contrast or too much yellow?
    The shadows are inconsistent/not enough contrast.

@ grimleyblack, Sorry I missed the dark brown at the base of the mountains when I responded to your post above (mountains on the white background). I could have saved you the trouble by pointing out sooner, sorry.

I did a quick paint over to show a few things you might try. the big thing right now is the base of the mountains on the light side are too dark. I left the top portion as it was to give you and Idea of how it changes.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	71505

The thing that is going to really pull this all together will be the transition between the mountain colors and the green colors. Another thing (the light side highlight part) is I tried to add a little chaos with the colors. What I mean is I tried to break up the solid swaths of color with shadows or highlights to create better variations of depth. As to the shadow site shadows you could probably go even darker, solid black in some small places but try to avoid using solid black if you can. In the paint over I used a very dark blue.
    Last edited by ascanius; 03-10-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks man I really appreciate what you've done. I would love to spend the time to do this but I am working at such a large scale and no access to a graphics tablet. to get those really fine stokes. If you didn't use one then cu'dos I wish I had your skill.

I decided that I needed to go back to a more simplified map for the purpose of story so for the moment I will be using this

Name:	Chaeron_New.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	71570
    I have also decided after getting inspiration from a road trip to base this land on my own home state of Tasmania.
    Mainly because after a lot of thought I came to the conclusion that its far easier to write about a real place and twist it to your own needs, then create a fantasy place from scratch.

If you would like to read a bit about my setting you can find it here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Although its not complete and doesn't go into detail about the races history (i've got those separate, happy to share on request) It hopefully gives you guy's an idea of my world I am creating.
    Last edited by grimleyblack; 03-12-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Another updated version of the new map

Name:	Chaeron_New.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	71591

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12