Thread: Battle Map of a Japanese style Inn

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Default Battle Map of a Japanese style Inn

Hello everyone,

This is my first map that I have posted here. It is my version of the Inn of the Globefish from Night of the Seven Swords. An old AD&D Oriental Adventures module. I needed a battle map of the inn to create the ninja attack against my party of intrepid adventurers so I created this, basing it on the original but changing quite a bit of the details. I used Campaign Cartographer 3 and the styles from the CSUAC and the Dungeons of Schley SS4 to make this. I hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doi No Fugu (Inn of the Globefish).JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	363.8 KB 
ID:	71023  

Nice design, though I don't know how authentic the floorplan is to an actual Japanese inn. Too bad the map is such low resolution, I cannot see the smaller details in the map.

Last year, I created a five level Japanese bath house (with 2 of the levels posted here), based on authentic design of an actual bath house. Bath houses were essentially tavern/restaurants, in addition to being a public place for bathing. I published my bath house in a product called Haiku of Horror: Autumn Moon Bath House which is a sliced PDF map product, with a contained mini-adventure/encounter site that includes a curse, several haunts and a unique ghost - all using Pathfinder RPG mechanics.

As an imprint under Rite Publishing, I am the creator, developer, one of the writers, and the cartographer for a published campaign setting based on authentic Japanese history, culture and folklore called the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) - and I own the intellectual property. There are several racial supplements, class/faction supplements, a haunts supplement, 3 one-shot modules and an introductory trilogy of modules called the Curse of the Golden Spear. Following a successful Kickstarter to fund it 2 years ago, we are still in production of a GM's setting guide and Player's guide to Kaidan. "Kaidan" is an archaic Japanese word that means "ghost story", which aptly describes Kaidan as to what it is all about. I've created dozens of maps for this oriental setting and many more yet to do.

I even have a set of ukiyo-e styled map objects that is posted here on the forums, that I will add to and eventually release as a paid for product, from my DTRPG publisher account.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-21-2015 at 11:35 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks. I doubt it is very authentic but it was close enough for what I needed. I've seen that set you are selling on RPGNOW and almost picked it up yesterday, but an unexpected expense happened that I had to spend the money on instead (timing belt in my car started slipping).

I will see if I can get a higher resolution map uploaded but I'm not really familiar with how to do that.

I would love to see the completed Ukiyo-e map objects sometime. Those would be amazing to make a map from I'm sure.

Oh, I'm not trying to twist your arm into buying something. I was simply pointing out that since you are playing a Japanese style game, that there are some good, authentic published material for such, that happens to be my creation. I happen to be half Japanese, an amateur historian, and have a need to create more authentic material than what was previously available - IMO, anyway.

One cannot easily upscale a map. If its designed at the existing small scale and resolution, you cannot do much about it.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

alright, this is my attempt at making the map bigger. Hope this works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doi No Fugu (Inn of the Globefish).JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	71030  
    Last edited by Tonnichiwa; 02-21-2015 at 02:47 PM.

hehe, I wasn't thinking you were trying to sell me anything. But I did look at them and will probably pick them up when I get paid again. They are very nice.