Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar 2015 Lite Challenge Entry: Standing Stones

Wip Feb / Mar 2015 Lite Challenge Entry: Standing Stones

Well, here goes!

I decided to create some standing stones, mostly because I'd like to use them in a map at some point, and also because I think they're mad cool! I see from the challenge rules that we can create up to six mapping elements, and that seemed a great incentive to create a stone circle, or part of one at least.

So, here's my first effort:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stone1-210215.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	71029

I'm not a great artist so I'm quite pleased that it actually looks like a standing stone! However, on the downside, it maybe looks too much like a standing stone. What I mean by that is that it's quite photo-realistic, and I prefer maps that are more illustrative or hand-drawn, so I'm not sure if it'll fit in any map that I might create. I suppose that doesn't affect the challenge one way or the other, it's just my personal musing.

Any thoughts or comments? I've never entered any challenge like this before, and hope I'm doing everything right.

Banned User

Looks good so far

I think if you don't put in a background, just make it a .png file with transparent background (and increase the size a lot), it could be usable for either photo-realistic or easily converted to a nice icon.

I did an experiment with this one, removed the background entirely, then desaturated it to full greyscale, then increased the contrast and brightness, and it came out as a very nice looking icon. I don't want to hijack your thread by posting, but if you want to see it, email me at yodercm@earthlink.net and I'll send.

Thanks Chick, I just emailed you.

I can lose the background no problem, as it's on a separate layer, and nothing else you've suggested sounds too problematic, so I'll take a look at what you've created and see where I want to go from there.

With regard to size, what sort of size do you think I should be creating the images at? Generally, when I create a map, I've been using the A4 printing template size, which is about 4000px x 2500ish (can't remember exactly right now.) Having a dozen stones around 350px high would fit well on that size I think, but if it's best to create a bigger size, it's not a problem to do so. I guess I was only thinking about what suited me!

Banned User

Well, some people may work at bigger sizes, or may want the icon to be more major in their image, so I'd suggest making the final version at least 1000 px. It's always possible to reduce the size, but not always possible to enlarge and keep a clear image.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    It's always possible to reduce the size, but not always possible to enlarge and keep a clear image.
    That's true, although reducing from 1000px to 300-odd pixels will also lose quality, especially when you have fine detail like a small engraved section.

Very nice work. Most of my maps are photorealistic, and many of my elements are actually photoshopped photos I've taken. I would say your stone is almost photorealistic, but not quite. It looks good, and depending on how it is used or tweaked, it could be used with both types of maps.

Thanks Bogie.

I've removed the background from the first stone and am uploading it again. I've also made another bigger stone, after some helpful advice from Chick. This one turned out sorta OK. I think I can do the weathered stone look all right, but I'm not quite so sure about perspective and shading. Oh well!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone2.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	71072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone3.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	400.3 KB 
ID:	71073

Banned User

I think they look awesome. You have nailed the perspective, the shading, and the texture!

Aw, thanks Chick!

I'm hoping to manage one or two more, then maybe a little map to showcase them, if I have time.

Banned User

Well, you have until Mar 14th, and you can do up to six for the challenge, so I'm looking forward to more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast