Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar Lite Challenge: : Fractal elements

Guild Artisan

Default Feb / Mar Lite Challenge: : Fractal elements

It has been a certain time that I wanted to have really unique and original compasses.
    As these are hard to come by and wouldn't be unique anyway, I decided to create some myself.
    And as I am in the process to do so, I may particpate to the challenge as well so that other collegues may eventually take profit of this work.

The idea is to create mapping elements with multifractals and then slightly edit them with GIMP.
    Good new is that as there is infinity power infinity of multifractals, each one will be necessarily unique.
    Bad news is that coaxing out of this infinity compas shapes will be hard work.
    I intend to start with compasses and then if I have time, I will try to do some paving and/or map borders.
    Intentionnaly I don't add labels so that everybody who would like to use one, can add his own labels.

This first compas has been created with a hyperbolic multifractal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compashyp.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	951.2 KB 
ID:	71041

Pretty! This would be a great compass on a space map.

Guild Artisan

Thanks . I am on the track of something that could be nice too. Hopefully I can catch it

Guild Artisan

Caught it . Not exactly what I wanted but near enough. Getting elaborated arrows with the right symetry was quite a hunt
    Any comments, criticism and suggestions welcome.

Name:	CompasV4.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	71095

Name:	Compashyp.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	951.2 KB 
ID:	71094

Totally beamed away by the compasses! ^^ Great work. I like the different styles (1st one seems more "organic" 2nd one more "clear") and the colors are fitting those styles very well!

Banned User

Really nice!

Guild Artisan

Thanks for the comments. It encourages me to hunt some more. One more compas and then I will look for some tiling.

Love the texture of the new blue one.

Those are looking great, Deadshade. It seems to me that the great thing about this method is you can use those shapes not just for compasses but anything else as well--flags, architectural shapes, city icons; maybe even mosaics/floor decorations etc.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Artisan

Thanks Bogie and THW.

Yes that is precisely my target THW - experiment the method for several other uses like tiles and textures too. Not sure what the result will be but it is Worth the attempt.
    The method is indeed great for decoration but not really well adapted for (classical) architectural shapes because it is very hard to create shapes constituted mostly of straight lines. For that I'd rather take my trusty pencil
    Micromanagement is all but impossible with fractals - if you want to change a little detail somewhere, you always change several other details elsewhere. That's why it takes relatively much time to (approximately) converge to a shape one has in mind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast