Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed setting worldbuilding (maps inside)

Default Unnamed setting worldbuilding (maps inside)

I decided to create one big setting to be a kitchen sink for a bunch of scattered fantasy ideas I had.

The current state of the map, just the continents and sea shapes for now. I'm currently tweaking the coasts and adding islands.

Banned User

A nice start

While you are tweaking the coasts, I'd suggest a little more variation to the long fairly straight ones, more deeper bays, peninsulas, and offshore islands. Otherwise, I think you have the makings of a nice map here. I'll look forward to where you go with it

Islands were added.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testworld2nd2.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	711.4 KB 
ID:	78418

At the resolution I'm drawing with, each pixel is several miles across at the equator. I chose it because I would be able to work with more layers at once without GIMP getting too slow on me, but now I see it might be too small to make nations easy to see.

Would rivers even be worth showing at such a scale? Cities?

Name:	testworld3rda.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	79530
    I started plotting my mountains, but I feel that the big continent will end up too dry with a configuration like this. I'm not doing exact tectonics, this is a world that has a lot of room for fudging.

The land outline looks fantastic Vaiyt. Look forward to watching this take shape.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Member Facebook Connected

After looking at the first pic, I was going to say you need a bit more islands, but in the later pics you added them. Good eye.

Coming along great! I'm watching this one for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boucher View Post
    After looking at the first pic, I was going to say you need a bit more islands, but in the later pics you added them. Good eye.

Coming along great! I'm watching this one for sure!
    I like how some artifacts from the methods I used to create the coastlines created lots of tiny islands in irregular chains.

Here's how the current iteration of the heightmap is looking. Being the only part that was handmade, the mountains ended up ugly and blobby, but I'd want some feedback before attempting to correct them.

Name:	hitemap.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	679.6 KB 
ID:	80316

A full-size, better looking version of the map.

Now, I'm wondering if anyone can help me through something. I've seen in another thread (one which I'm having trouble finding) someone getting geo-strategic advice, like where empires would be likely to form, which places looked the most strategic to hold, which would be the hardest to defend, and so on. Would anyone be able to give an overview of this map and tell me if it has any areas likely to be important?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitemapfull_zpsrawzzb3w.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	80466  
    Last edited by vaiyt; 02-20-2016 at 10:47 PM. Reason: photobucket being dumb, had to rehost somewhere else to get the full image

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast