Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: Waterdeep (commission, for Leopardi)

Default WIP: Waterdeep (commission, for Leopardi)

This thread is for my latest city map WIP, a re-imagining of the city of Waterdeep. This map was commissioned by Leopardi (original request thread here). I'm making this map in the same style as Pyrus (WIP here; finished map here), but hope to be able to complete it more efficiently and quickly, and avoid some of the mistakes I made last time.

Below is my initial sketch, including the layout of the city. This is a much more challenging city than Pyrus, but I think it is already off to a good start. Comments are welcome, as always.

Architecturally, Pyrus was primarily inspired by central Italy; here, I have been told the architecture can be a blend of Italian and German (something like Lombardy) so I am thinking of using the cities of Milan and Rome as my main reference points. That said, there are many diverse cultures/races here, and so a number of architectural forms will be attempted. Happy for input from Leopardi and anyone else about this.

@Leopardi: if I have questions/comments for you, I will post them either in this thread, or email them to you directly. Feel free to do the same to reach me.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterdeep 01.jpg 
Views:	823 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	71115  
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 02-23-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

This should be an interesting one. I look forward to seeing the progress on it.
    I already like the docks and steps leading down to them.

Guild Journeyer

Wow! Has an EPIC look, we could have an award winner here!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

This is going to be an awesome map. You WIP's always inspire me to sketch more.
    Good luck on this, I will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Thanks everyone. I'll try and update regularly, but I've never been good at that. I guess it'll probably happen as it happens

THW

Guild Novice

Very nice so far THW. I'm sure you'll turn this sketch into another brilliant piece soon enough.
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

Thanks Shadire.

Here's the latest progress. This map is going at a snails-pace even by my standards, but I'm hoping to really step it up over the next week.

Comments, of course, are welcome.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterdeep 02.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	71406  

Hi THW,
    the "snails-pace" pays off in my view! The wonderfully detailed isometric buildings are looking great. I also really like the "rock-arch"? (don't know the english term).
    I noticed the sketched "blocks" in the west. Ilanthar did a similar thing in his WIP on Tarantia. Do you generally work like this in city-maps, that you "carve out" the final shape of the buildings from these blocks?
    Apropos snails: Humor and patience are two camels that will carry you through any desert. - Arabic proverb

Very nice THW! Looks like you got some very complex level- and street-weaving going on. And you are definitely pulling it off! Already eager for your next update.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

PS/ I get dizzy from just imagining walking by the Cliffside up there. My fear of heights would not do well in this city.

Nice Work!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast