Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First completely hand-drawn map - Tolkiens Númenor

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback, and all the kind words! I think I will leave it as it is, then, since I like the black-and-white look as well, maybe add a bit more detail (I'm pretty bad at deciding when something is 'finished', there's always something more that can be done...), and then play around with colour in the scanned version.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    That looks great! Also great to see somebody drawing maps with a similar method to my own. I've a fair amount of experience by now with dip pens and watercolor pencils. Next time, I'd suggest you look for bristol paper. The ink really sits on top of the paper well, and if you decide to watercolor, the colors get into the paper, under the ink. The heavier stock won't warp so much, either - though you will get some of that, there's no way around it.

As for digitizing, I've had bad luck scanning because it ruins the contrast levels. You might find all your scuffs and construction lines become very black. That might be fine, as long as you are willing to post-process it all! I've taken to photographing with a tripod, in daylight but out of direct Sun. I have had the best results with a 60 mm macro lens. It also may seem obvious, but it's worth mentioning: use a self-timer, so you don't vibrate the tripod. There are various tutorials out there on the web for photographing art if you want more ideas. Another point to bear in mind is that everything digital photophiles say about matching real-world colors applies here. Be careful to set your monitor to sRGB when you tweak the color balance!

This map in particular looks terrific. (I want to say "fantastic," but that goes without saying!) I wouldn't add color at all - I think it stands well the way it is. If you digitize it, though, you can always experiment!

P.S. I love the southwest corner of the continent! You achieved lots of fine detail there, without overdoing it. For some reason, I also really like the scale at the left.
    Good advice, I'll keep that in mind! I've found "Bristol Vellum Paper" here, is that the same? I'll have to see how the scan turns out, and what I can do with post-processing (I have a bit of experience with photoshop for prior map projects).

About the scale, that's a good point, it would have been better that way - in hindsight it seems pretty obvious, but I didn't think about that at the time. I just measured out the length of border I'd need and 1,5 cm increments fit best for making it match at the edges. It would be easy to change the scale, since it's only 1.7 cm, and not 100% accurate anyway (as far as one can be "accurate" when measuring imaginary lands).

That's really good! You captured very well the tolkien style!

This is what I use: http://www.strathmoreartist.com/prod...s-bristol.html

I've had good luck with it and superfine pen nibs. It comes in lots of other sizes, so you can probably grab a small pad to try out and see if you like it.

It's amazing. Nice job.
    Webmaster and head designer of The World of Farland: A World conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin.

www.farlandworld.com

I thought this map looked good. All of mine so far have beenhand drawn as well.

Just a fantastic map! Love the style that you were able to do, great job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12