Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First completely hand-drawn map - Tolkiens Númenor

Guild Novice

Wip First completely hand-drawn map - Tolkiens Númenor

The map I'm currently working on as a personal project is the island of Númenor, from J.R.R. Tolkiens stories. Apart from my first map here (yay!) it's also the first I've done completely by hand. It's drawing ink on A3 paper, I used a dip pen with drawing nibs. Also metallic pigment ink for the gold/silver (the silver doesn't really come out in the picture). I tried to make the geography a little more interesting than Tolkiens pretty barebone map by adding some forests, rivers and fields. The placenames and legend are in Quenya (and Adûnaic), since it's supposed to be a in-universe contemporary map (the placenames aren't that interesting anyway, the labelled parts of the country are basically called Northland, Eastland, Southeastland, Southwestland, Westland and Middleland).

I'm actually not sure if I want to do more with it, I kind of like the black and white look. Watercolour won't work because the paper is too thin and will warp (I wish I thought about that beforehand), but I'm thinking about scanning it at uni (probably do that anyway) and then add in some colour in photoshop. Scanning would also allow me to clean up all the small imperfections (had to scrape off some parts with a scalpel for that, I really learned to miss ctrl+z...). I'm also thinking about adding some more detail, like vineyards which are supposed to exist in the southwest, but I have no idea how to do them and all my attempts so far looked pretty bad.

It's a very different way to work than creating maps on the computer, but so far I enjoyed it (though next time I'll look for paper with a less rough surface, which makes working with fine nibs diffiult). I also apologize for the poor quality of the photograph, do you have any tips for photographing maps? I can't seem to get the lighting right at all - also the detail is pretty messed up. Or do you scan all of yours?

Any criticism/feedback is welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j4CdBTx.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	71138

Astrogator this is some great work! You've really captured the classical Tolkienesque map design. Lovely work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hello Astrogator,
    I bet i am not the only one around here, who had her/his "initiation" into the imagination of fantastical worlds by the reading of Tolkiens work (and maps!). But the "hype" around LotR and the Hobbit the last years somehow took the "mystical awe" away for me. With this lovely piece you're really bringing that feeling back. Thank you!
    I just took that dusty old "Historischer Atlas von Mittelerde" ("The Atlas of Middle-Earth") from the shelf....

It's really sad to read about the limitations you have due to the material. This map would deserve to be drawn on some heavy paper or even parchment.

But if you are going to scan it anyway: go ahead, try out some digital colourings and painting techniques... and take the original, frame it and place it over your fireplace.

Guild Novice

Thank you for the kind words arsheesh, I'm quite happy with how it turned out stylistically as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Hello Astrogator,
    I bet i am not the only one around here, who had her/his "initiation" into the imagination of fantastical worlds by the reading of Tolkiens work (and maps!). But the "hype" around LotR and the Hobbit the last years somehow took the "mystical awe" away for me. With this lovely piece you're really bringing that feeling back. Thank you!
    I just took that dusty old "Historischer Atlas von Mittelerde" ("The Atlas of Middle-Earth") from the shelf....
    Thanks, such praise from a fellow Tolkien fan means a lot to me. And the Atlas of Middle-Earth... such a great book! And one of my inspirations to get into making maps myself

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    But if you are going to scan it anyway: go ahead, try out some digital colourings and painting techniques... and take the original, frame it and place it over your fireplace.
    That's a good idea - now I just need a fireplace I think It'll go as well above the bookshelf with Tolkiens books, though. And yeah, if I had known beforehand how this project would progress I'd have invested in heavier paper - but this way I've learned a lot for the next time! Also, you're right, that way I can try out a lot more much easier.

I think it looks great. There's a lot to be said for a good black and white map done well.
    If you have the ability you could just barely do the outline on heavier paper, watercolor paint that, then scan it and merge them in photoshop and get the best of both worlds.
    You did a great job Astrogator. Hope to see more work. Cheers.

Simply brilliant work...
    Nothing else I can say.

I like this job and I think that black and white is a good choice that somewhat emphasizes the tolkienesque feel of the map.
    I really love the cartouche and the overall style, apparently just simple, but with a refined and sophisticate touch.

That looks great! Also great to see somebody drawing maps with a similar method to my own. I've a fair amount of experience by now with dip pens and watercolor pencils. Next time, I'd suggest you look for bristol paper. The ink really sits on top of the paper well, and if you decide to watercolor, the colors get into the paper, under the ink. The heavier stock won't warp so much, either - though you will get some of that, there's no way around it.

As for digitizing, I've had bad luck scanning because it ruins the contrast levels. You might find all your scuffs and construction lines become very black. That might be fine, as long as you are willing to post-process it all! I've taken to photographing with a tripod, in daylight but out of direct Sun. I have had the best results with a 60 mm macro lens. It also may seem obvious, but it's worth mentioning: use a self-timer, so you don't vibrate the tripod. There are various tutorials out there on the web for photographing art if you want more ideas. Another point to bear in mind is that everything digital photophiles say about matching real-world colors applies here. Be careful to set your monitor to sRGB when you tweak the color balance!

This map in particular looks terrific. (I want to say "fantastic," but that goes without saying!) I wouldn't add color at all - I think it stands well the way it is. If you digitize it, though, you can always experiment!

P.S. I love the southwest corner of the continent! You achieved lots of fine detail there, without overdoing it. For some reason, I also really like the scale at the left.
    Last edited by - Max -; 02-25-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: merging double posts

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Yup, Gotta agree with the others, Great map Have some rep for PnP map. We really do not see enough around here, sadly.

Just one pointer/nitpik... At first glance it looked like the border and scale matched at the larger end (the right end), but then not so much, and if not, not by only a little. It creates a bit of visual confusion when you have two objects that could be the same scale and possibley used the same way to not match. My eyes want to use the border on the right side of the map as the scale when looking there, but the mind is telling me 'but wait, thats not right'. I would suggest doing the border in either something of a diffent size than the scale, or match the two more closely.

Apart from my nitpik, I like a HUGE lot.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast