Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Tarantia

Thanks again for the useful and supportive comments!

Here's a new test for this place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarantia MP.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	72059

It's more a curiosity question then anything else, but... don't you think due to the city size, the graveyard area should be bigger?

Considering medieval mortality was substantialy higher then more modern days, I'd believe such a city would need a bigger area, even if you consider only nobles and relevant people would be properly buried... unless this world has magic to prevent such higher death rate or a specific method of "passing" like cremation or alike.

What you think?

Quote Originally Posted by TK. View Post
    It's more a curiosity question then anything else, but... don't you think due to the city size, the graveyard area should be bigger?

Considering medieval mortality was substantialy higher then more modern days, I'd believe such a city would need a bigger area, even if you consider only nobles and relevant people would be properly buried... unless this world has magic to prevent such higher death rate or a specific method of "passing" like cremation or alike.

What you think?
    There's a few things about graveyards:
    They would often bury people in high density (eg later burials in a shallower grave above older ones). When the ground gets too shallow, they would get more soil. That is why a lot of churchyards in England are actually higher than the adjacent streets.

I also recall reading that, when medieval graveyards started to fill up, they would take out all the bodies (often put the bones into crypts beneath churches), and start again.

It is not true that only rich people would receive a burial (at least, not in medieval Europe). Even criminals were given a burial, albeit in unconsecrated ground.

Another thing that could happen is you just open a new churchyard. It is important to remember, unlike in many fantasy city maps, there is rarely only one temple in a city: usually there are dozens, each with its own small churchyard. This adds up to quite a lot, in time.

Last, there are alternatives to burial, like you mention. Romans, I believe, would cremate their dead and place the urns in family tombs outside the city walls,

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Yes, like THW said, they'd dig up the bones and put it in a building called a charnal house or ossuary if they needed more room. Or in a crypt. Or catacomb! They'd also do it if a graveyard was to be built upon even into modern times. I recall reading when my town first got it's railway station in the 1800s, it ran through a big graveyard so they had to dig up all the bones and put them in one.

On the topic of funeral customs I always found the Tower of Silence to be very interesting.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Interesting topic! The graveyard here is supposed mainly to be home for the glorious and wealthy, with catacombs in its depths. Most people, like THW said for romans, keep the ashes or remnants of their ancestors in a funeral cellar in their home.
    In fact, the "old city" of Tamar is supposed to have an exentive network of catacombs connecting the graveyard.

Here's a test for the marquees "in situ", in the map. Does it look OK? Maybe the tents are still to big?

Name:	Tarantia G.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	72066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarantia D.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	72067

Banned User

Man, I learn about all kinds of interesting things here, way beyond cartography

Ilanthar - no, the tents are good.The size of a stand alone tent is bigger than an overhang marquee. So you are good on the sizes I think.
    I would add more to make it feel busier, unless you are going to do this in the other open squares. If you are, then this might be a good quantity.

The border looks good with the map. Nice choice there.

Thanks Chick!

By J.Edward
    The size of a stand alone tent is bigger than an overhang marquee. So you are good on the sizes I think.
    That's comforting!

I would add more to make it feel busier, unless you are going to do this in the other open squares.
    Hmm, in some other big open squares, probably. I'll see.

I think I'm gonna work more on the border. It's more a test right now.

Some more stands, fountains and marquees and a few more work on the frame. I have to give a try to statues and river boats now.

Name:	Tarantia G.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	72111

Specatacular progress, though it makes me look forward to my own city map less and less.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast