Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: More cities (City Designer 3)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyD473 View Post
    Even for jus tplaying around you are so good with CD3. You should start writing some tutorials for it
    Tutorials... hmm. I really don't feel secure enough to do those yet. I am sure I am still doing lots of stuff wrong. Is there anything you would like to reproduce in particular?

Anyway, I am working on Fierhout. This is a small city located on the shores of a lake (and some islands). It's not a very prosperous city, so no city walls this time. But there is a castle.

Trying out some of the island techniques from the last two maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fierhout1.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	316.8 KB 
ID:	8735  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-27-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That cluster of buildings on that island...the radiating out from a center is very evocative and very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

I love the way you do islands. You make it look so easy. And ditto on the radiating buildings layout.

Quote Originally Posted by aiRo25 View Post
    I love the way you do islands. You make it look so easy. And ditto on the radiating buildings layout.
    Well, the islands are really easy. It's just a matter of drawing a polygon (so say 10 clicks an island). After that I turn on the custom effects I have been experimenting with (another click) and presto! That's the beauty of CD3. Once you get the hang of it you can map really fast.

Anyway, I am doing a lot of writing at the moment, so mapping is taking a hit for now. I will finish above map sometime in 2009 however
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Oh, I did redo the town of Noordhaven this weekend. First attachment is the old map, the second is the new map. Still not happy with it, so I sense a third (fourth? fifth?) version coming.

Name:	noordhaven1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	8765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noordhaven1_new.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	8766  

The mapper in me won from the writer. Finished Fierhout, took about 2.5 hours total.
    ------------

Fierhout (Proudwood) is a small town located on the shores of a lake. As it name suggests the town was once founded near one of the largest forested areas in the Valley. After hundreds of years of cutting and mismanagement the forests disappeared.

Nowadays it is a pretty poor town. There's some farming going on along the fertile shores of the river and in the nearby mountains there are a few iron mines. Fierhout doesn't get a lot of traffic or trade. Still, the town did grow over the centuries. Some stone causeways were built along the islands and people settled there.

Fierhout has always belonged to the wizards of Concetron. It has now sworn allegiance to the Alliance.

Name:	fierhout1.jpg 
Views:	1396 
Size:	505.1 KB 
ID:	8768  

Also, I finally figured out how to render my maps in huge dimensions (I saw Midgardsormr give some pointers to eoinmorgan). So I have put in hundreds of hours mapping and now I find out. It's really funny, as long as the map doesn't crash that is. Also rendering can be a bit slow, lol.

Version below is much bigger, although CC3 messed up some of my fields and walls *sniff*

Name:	fierhout3.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	8769  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-29-2008 at 08:23 PM.

I had a few breakthroughs tonight. I can now render ALL my maps in insane dimensions. No more cutting and pasting screenshots for me. w00t!
    I updated the Sirilion map with a new, much larger version. Check it out:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...newpost&t=3155

There's still some problems to overcome, but this is going to rock

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Also, I finally figured out how to render my maps in huge dimensions (I saw Midgardsormr give some pointers to eoinmorgan).
    Oh geez, if I had realized that that was all you needed I'd have said something much earlier!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Oh geez, if I had realized that that was all you needed I'd have said something much earlier!
    Haha! No, not everything. Most of my maps crash when trying to render from CC3 (even in lower dimensions). But your pointers made me experiment again and because of that I found a thread on the Profantasy forum how to circumvent the crash bug. So I am very grateful

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast